Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to design specific filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a pink noise generator with an MM5837, it was not a 5937. I designed its white to pink filter with trial and error so that its frequency response perfectly matches an expensive professional pink noise generator.
Sometimes I can hear it repeating is pseudo-random sounds. Its sequence is different each time it is turned on.

You are correct, MM5837...it was a typo error.
Darn phone keypad, it is too small.

Hi,
Thank you for your help !
I have found several circuits wich do the job on the internet.
But if you had to design from scratch how do you proceed to compute the values for each R and C ?
Let's choose this design for example : (FIGA1)
**broken link removed**
As you can see tranfert fonction will take ages to hand compute and after you got it how to determine the right values to aproximate the -10dB/dec desired ?
Compute the log magnitude curve then use a non linear solver and make a curve fitting as suggested by FvM ?

Compute the log magnitude curve then use a non linear solver and make a curve fitting.
That's clearly a working method. With a moderate number of RC ladder elements, also manual fitting is an option.

sunnyskyguy:

Indeed, in the late 70s I built a pink noise generator using some of the schematics you show in your link.
The MM5937 white noise generator was a wonderful little IC, although its sequence was not very long would repeat every two or three seconds. One could listen to a "bump" when this happened.

I did the same... and found it sounded too much like a choo-choo-train, so I designed my own with better results. We wanted to make a room equalizer using this with a Yamaha 1/2 octave graphic equalizer and a microphone. The tough part is getting the mic to match your hearing perception. The easy part was locating the speakers for best amplitude response. Balanced Phase response required your ears with a mono sound in the middle of your head.

To realize the filter from scratch, use
H(s)=1/(1+s/(2PI*fo))^0.5

Intuitively, the square root response matches the Cap impedance ratio of cascaded filters where sq.rt. of 10 is 3.3 used approx. for successive stages

Rigorously, I leave for students, but a 1st order RC filter has a -3dB breakpoint and the root of 10 is ~3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.