Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to create a pin not ruteable on the top layer? (with altium-protel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

black_flowers

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need to keep pins (only the top layer) from routing. Untill now, i've been placing a poligon in order to keepout routing into this poligon, but i'm trying to find out a way to skip routing on the top layer using a property or something like that. Another method i've used is asigning this pad only to bottom layer, but this way it doesn't show the drillhole, and i need it since it's not a smd pad.
I'm using Altium Designer.

thanks.:-D

You should be able to do it with a rule (Design -> Rules -> Routing -> Routing Layers). I haven't tried it but you might just be able to uncheck "Top Layer" under Enabled Layers in the RoutingLayers rule, which I think would disable all routing on the top layer.

but i don't want to disable all routing in the top layer. I just need to disable routing on those particular pins i cannot reach because they are covered for the body of a commponent. For example in dip encapsulated components i only can reach the bottom layer. I could make that those pins were only on the bottom layer but doing this theres no drillhole on the pin, and i need it. In Cadence there is an option that keeps a pin to be routed in a particular layer but in Altium the only method i found is to draw a keepout region, wich means a lot of work :oops:

the only method i found is to draw a keepout region, wich means a lot of work
Don't understand your problem with keepouts. If you're using multiple instances, it may be reasonable to include the keepout with the footprint definition.

my problem with keepouts is that their requires a lot of work since i have to draw a keepout over each pad. If i have a 40 pin package i have to draw 40 keepouts. I cannot draw a keepout over all pins since i don't want to keep the tracks to pass through the coponent: i only keep tracks to be connected to the pins.

What about the property "Electrical Type" which appears in the dialog when you are editting a pad. what happens if i choose "Terminator" type instead of "Load"?

Personally I would put the keepout in the footprint so I would only have to do it once and never again. But it can be done with rules:

1) Create a new Pad Class "TopPadKeepOut" (Design -> Classes -> Pad Classes -> Right-Click -> Add Class -> Right-Click on New Class -> Rename to "TopPadKeepOut")
2) Select any pads you want to have tracks entering only from the bottom, click ">" to make them members of the "TopPadKeepOut" Class
3) Create a Clearance rule to keep all Top Layer nets away from pads in the class "TopPadKeepOut". (Design -> Rules -> Clearance -> Right-Click -> New Rule -> select the new rule "Clearance_1" -> 1st object = "(OnLayer('Top Layer'))" -> 2nd object = "(InPadClass('TopPadKeepOut'))" -> Contraints = "Any Net"

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
and how can i do for only definig the pad on the bottom layer, but keeping the drillhole? (If i do that the drillhole disappears)

black_flowers,

It is very easy to perform at PADS ( Mentor Graphics ).
At Altium, you could put a self-made Pad ( drill + top circle ) created for you, instead regular Pad.

+++

Personally I would put the keepout in the footprint so I would only have to do it once and never again. But it can be done with rules:

1) Create a new Pad Class "TopPadKeepOut" (Design -> Classes -> Pad Classes -> Right-Click -> Add Class -> Right-Click on New Class -> Rename to "TopPadKeepOut")
2) Select any pads you want to have tracks entering only from the bottom, click ">" to make them members of the "TopPadKeepOut" Class
3) Create a Clearance rule to keep all Top Layer nets away from pads in the class "TopPadKeepOut". (Design -> Rules -> Clearance -> Right-Click -> New Rule -> select the new rule "Clearance_1" -> 1st object = "(OnLayer('Top Layer'))" -> 2nd object = "(InPadClass('TopPadKeepOut'))" -> Contraints = "Any Net"

i am suffering from the same problem and i thought about the idea above and it seems very logical. But i have no success. Can anybody help us.

Because of component bodies remaining on top layer, for some components i have no possibility to solder from top layer since my prototip boards are non-plated through holes. But i should have the possibility to pass tracks on top layer by vias in order to complete all track connections. I should do this by auto-route strategy because of having many many connections.

i am using altium designer,

Please help,

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back