Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to convert 12v data signal into 5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper911

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
12v to 5v converter

New to this so can anyone tell me in very simple and plain terms how to drop 12v down to 5v so i can run a rc servo off a car battery. does anyone have a picture of a circuit already done so i can see exactly what components go into it or a picture of one made on veroboard
Thanks

convert 12v to 5v

I understands that you want to use car battery as a voltage source. If so you will just need to connect it with 7805 regulator and take your 5 Volt supplu out of it.

Thanks

12v 5v converter

Try to use this configuration using an 78XX regulator or an Lm317 with transistor for courrent

Is simple to calculate
The resistor that will put the transistor in conduct is given by R1 = 2*0.7/I and I must not reach the maximum corrent load to the regulator.
If you put an value lower than the regulator can handle you can forget the base current of the transistors, other wise the expression is R1 = 2*0.7/(Ireg - Ic/β

You can regulate other tensions using and reference in the regulator.
The expression simplified is Uo = (1+Rv1/R3)*Vreg
If dont want any regulation tension just use the regulator that gives you the correct tensio or use zener to increse the tension to the value desired

An simple Solution for more amps that the regulator can handle

how to convert 12v to 5v

The LM7805 is a linear voltage regulator and as a such converts (Vin-Vout)* Iout into heat ..
If you want to go that way you need to use a heatsink ..

Alternatively, you can use switching voltage regulators, the LM2575, for example, and because of the nature of it's operation (>80% efficiency) the amount of heat is reduced significantly ..
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

converting 12v to 5v

you can also use maxim max5035, very simple to use, and samples availables in pdip directly on maxim web site...
simply follow the schematic on the datasheet..

12v 5v circuit

I did this before, but not using the source from a car battery. I took it from the power line which is 240V, and using a transformer i manage to reduce it to 12V @ 24V; forget. And then i reduced it to 5v by using a LM7805. And yes it does get hot, but i cooled it down with heatsinks..

reduce 12v to 5v

check this link also
should b helpful if u know basics

how to drop 12v to 5v

absolutely totally confused now. i really am new to this does anyone have a picture of one made that i can look at

12v to 5v schematic

Here is a kit for $7 that you can build your own 3.3V / 5V power supply. I think it doesn't have an heat sink. I would bump up C1 and C2 to higher uF, but that depends on what is using the power too.
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=114

Here is the schematic for the above $7 PS.
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Prototyping/Breadboard-PowerSupply-v2.pdf

For people to give you a good response, you need to tell them how much current (Amps) at 5V that your project needs. Depending on whether it is low or high current, you need to approach the solution differently. One of the easiest solutions (not optimum) is the 7805 or 78L05 which almost everyone can build and very cheap.

12v to 5v convertor

The LM7805 with NO heat-sink can dissappate 2.5 watts of power in the TO220 package .. Just get yourself a heatsink .. see picture below .. and mount the LM7805 on it ..

Regards,
IanP

how to reduce 12v to 5v

all i want it for is to operate a servo that go inside model planes or cars from a car battery if that helps things. the kit seems easy if it gives you instructions but i like in the uk and postage costs are rediculous for importing things

converter 12v to 5v

Put a couple Diodes in series with the 12V supply. Make sure the diodes can
handle the power. This is easy and if you are not drawing a lot of current it
should work fine.

You can find diodes that drop 1.2V, 3V, 5V ...
Google it .

Cheers

convert 12v 5v

does that mean i can connect two 3v and a 1.2v together connect it to the positive wire and 4.8v will come out

converter 12v 5v

viper911 said:
does that mean i can connect two 3v and a 1.2v together connect it to the positive wire and 4.8v will come out

yeh it is possible then both voltage sources should b independent

how to transform 12v to 5v

viper911 said:

Yes you will get ~ 4.8V, but becareful a car battery can put out a lot
of current!

lm7805 heatsink

all these non switching method will generate a lot of energy for nothing but heat...would be cleaner with a switching regulator...

drop voltage from 12v to 5v

you can use 5035 and 7805 Ic to convert 12 v to 5v. the ic 7805 transister has 3 pins and on one pin you give the 12v on other you give ground and on third pin you will receive 5v.

12v 5v 7805

7805(V regulator) is the good idea :D
you can use 7805 datasheet

12v 5v convert

Hi
7805(V regulator) is the good idea Very Happy
you can use 7805 datasheet

Think simple. That's it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com