Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check IC inside a built circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

furqankaimkhani

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Some people scratch and remove the labels of the ICs used in electronic circuitry.

One such case came up inside a car's fuel switching mechanism. There is some 12 pin IC. The circuit is burnt due to water i guess.
We are not sure whether the IC is working or not.
We also can't replace the IC Since we do not know which IC is this.

Is there some solution to such problems?

You'll probably have to buy a whole new unit. The manufacturer is not going to tell you what that IC is (that's why they scraped off the identification! It might even be a custom part).

The new system might cost alot.
However, Is it ethical to scratch the part name?
What's meant by a custom part?

Why wouldn't it be ethical? The manufacturer is under no obligation to make it easy for you to fix it. Frustrating? Yes.

A custom part is a part that is not available to the general public; something made expressly for that car manufacturer.

Some EPROM programmers have a chip identification feature.

You may try to identify some elements of the current diagram and later to compare IC circuit by functionality…..

When i asked someone about this issue, he said that there is some highly sophisticated device which can trace the logic levels of the IC. I am not sure of the right name that he mentioned but i think it was perhaps "D tron tech". But he said that it's not available everywhere.
Whatever that gadget is; Is it possible to find out the logic being used inside an IC by checking logic levels somehow. And what's a logic level? Is it just like voltage level?

its diffcult to help you ,if you attached picture then somebody will sure help you

Status
Not open for further replies.