Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change pads/drill size in Eagle without dying?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alunaro

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
eagle drill size

Hi

First, i'm hobbiest so i hardly could make tracks too much thin.

I'm trying to make pads diameter wider than default changing the restring params and others. The DRC but changes ALL pads in board, which is a problem with ICs (tracks can't pass in between pads). I tried to change pads directly in library with some scripts that i found in cadsoft site, but... these changes don't reflect on the board.

In resume, i need pads with 32mil of drill (0.8mm), 80mil of diameter (2mm)... but only in certain components (ie, resistors). For ICs, default package is ok.

Any idea? After 5 days I can't find any one.

Thanks

drill-aid.ulp

Alunaro..

This is very easy...

First you need to know what package has the component you want to modify.

Goto control panel, open library in which component is placed.

You have a blank window, next to printer icon, you have 3 icons...
Device, Package and Symbol... select Package.. design will apear on screen,

Here you can change the diameter, drills, etc.

You need to save the library.

Goto your design and insert the modified component, and message from EAGLE will indicate you that all packages in the board will be modified, click ok. (and cancel inserting new part). With this you have your board updated. Repeat this step for every modified part.

alunaro

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
eagle drill aid

Hi, it is better to use drill-aid.ulp (see eagle ULP DIR) if you are making your own hand made PCB's. Taken from the ULP:
"Limit drill diameter of pads, vias and holes for easier manual drilling\n"
"

"
"Draws small circles in layer 116 inside the drilling of pads, vias and holes, "
"which should make it easier to center the tool while drilling the "
"board manually."
"

"
"Usage: RUN drill-aid [ diameter ]"
"

"
"Activate layer 116 in addition to the bottom side layers in the "
"CAM processor or use the DISPLAY command to activate it for printing."
"

"
"To delete the elements in layer 116 afterwards, display it without "
"any other layers, and use GROUP and DELETE. Then remove the whole "
"layer with the command LAYER -116."
"

"
"<author>Author: support@cadsoft.de</author>"

alunaro

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
eagle change drill size

To eidtech::
Goto your design and insert the modified component, and message from EAGLE will indicate you that all packages in the board will be modified, click ok. (and cancel inserting new part). With this you have your board updated. Repeat this step for every modified part.

I tried this but... with the whole library; i mean, modifying and updating the whole library with an ulp, not each part individually. And never tried adding 1 modified component to made board. That is a difference. :D I'll try later.

To inventor(y):
I thought to limit the size of drills drawing circles, but i didn't use the correct layer.
Really it's an awkward solution, but if it solves my problem... welcome :D
Now, I have a board with some circles drawn in pad layer and DRC complaining about them. Moreover, now i can't delete them... haha...
BTW, it's not a permanent solution.

Thanks, I'll try later your solutions.

eagle change pad

Hi

Thanks for your answers. I tried and worked both, less the next:

Sure i did something wrong xDD But no problem, i can change packages.

A last question: is possible to change a componet in schematic by other different in same way like Labcenter Proteus do ?

I mean, replace the resistor A for resistor B (from same or different library). I couldn't find the way, and i have to place B conect to same
nets than A, and after delete A comp.

is there an easy way to achieve it?

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back