Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to calculate the Resistance of M1 & M2 in saturation mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venkatlab

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
**broken link removed**

how to calculate the Resistance of M1 & M2 in saturation mode ?

What is the current though M1 & M2? Ideally it would be Iref but what would be practical case?

IRFL210--MOSFET part number

Attachments

• Simple_MOSFET_mirror.png
    Simple_MOSFET_mirror.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 116
  • sihfl210.pdf
    163.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

I guess my question was not clear.
Let me split my questions.
Assume VDD=10V.
Requirement for Iout = 10mA.
What should be R value?How to calculate it?
MOSFET PN: IRFL210

Saturation is the mode in the MOSFET where it is fully operational conducting (non-linear mode or amplifying mode).
Based on that, the circuit you are presenting is a double MOSFET in mirror mode (Current in M1 is approx the same current that in M2 supposing that M1 and M2 are almost identical transistors)
Simple_MOSFET_mirror.png
R is calculated based on the desired current and the output Iout, Vdd and the drop voltage of M1 (that based on your PDF is around 4V, using an Iref = 10mA
Based on that
\[R=\frac{ { V}_{DD }- { V}_{GS }}{ {I }_{REF }}\]

\[R=\frac{ 10- 4}{ 10}\cdot{ 10}^{ 3}\approx600\Omega\]

You can try yourself using some documentation. Here is one: **broken link removed**

Thanks pedroromanvr for the immediate response.

Hi,

In the datasheet, VGS min=2 & max=4V.
On What basis Vgs would vary?
on keeping the Vdd within +/-1% accuracy, R +/-1%, with varrying Vout. What is the variation expected in Vgs?

Hi Venkat:

No, in the datasheet the \[{V }_{ GS}\] may vary from 2V to 4V. But that is the case when \[{V }_{ GS} = {V }_{ DS}\], check always for the test conditions.
Data1.JPG

By the way, I got the information using Fig 1 and Fig 3 from the datasheet.
Graph.JPG
Graph2.JPG

As you can see, for a \[{V }_{ DS}=10V\], the current you are trying to use (\[{10 }^{-2 }A\]), won't produce any given \[{V }_{ GS}\], thus your transistor can disipate much more power than the case you are giving to it.
Based on the Fig 3, the \[{V }_{ GS}\] is tending to be 4V when \[{I }_{ D}\] is very small, so I use this value for \[{V }_{ GS}\]

Hi All,

What is the variation expected in Current mirror due to MOSFET mismatch? what are the other parameters that can affect the accuracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back