Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to boost 2v - 4v, 50mA - 100mA to 5v 500mA?

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two solar panels each containing of 2V 50mA. I want to make a phone charger or a Li-Po battery charger with these solar panels. Is there any way I can boost and get an output of 5V 500mA? Also I have purchased few components, 0.9 - 5V to USB 5V 600mA Boost Converter, TP4056 Charging Module and Power Bank Module. The USB Booster is boosting Volts, but not the mA, so the charging percentage in my phone is not increase. I have no knowledge about all these, but just a lot interest. Please help, thank you.

These are the links to the products I purchased :

USB Boost Converter

TP40596 Module:

Power Bank Module

Hi,

simple answer: It´s impossible.

Why: the input power is 2V x 50mA = 100mW, but you expect an output power of 5V x 500mA = 25000mW.
--> you can´t increase average power
The average output power always will be less than the average input power.

For sure you may use the 2v x 50mA to charge a capacitor for a long time .... then you may use this stored energy to produce 5V, 500mA for a rather short time. Just for a short pulse.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: