Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add a 3D model to a component in Altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beenaplaye

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I made a new footprint for a component in my library. I want to add a new 3D model now for my component. Can I fetch an image like .jpeg or .png from a datasheet and use it as 3D model?

No you can't do it that way.
This is the I do it go here
Free 3D Models, Free CAD Models
You may need to register if you already have not(it's free), Search for what 3D bodies you need, choose Step(*step) from the drop down list mkae sure you download it in the AP214 format untick remind me to rate this model.
Unzip it, Start Altium go to the foot print you created then go to Place look for 3D model then tick the Genreic step model box then the embed step model, This will open up a new window go to where you have saved yor model and this will import your 3Dmodel you can change the rotation view it in 3D(by pressing 3) and move the component into place.
There are some good videos here
Training videos

wizpic

Tnx wizpic, but I need a special 3D model. Im looking a copper test needle. Where can I find that?

Tnx wizpic, but I need a special 3D model. Im looking a copper test needle. Where can I find that?

You did not say you wanted a special 3D model.:roll:

This may be the colsest you will get the can off set it so the rest is below the PCB whic h you cant see unless you trun it over
3D ContentCentral - Login

you can also draw 3D model yourself you have to turn on mechanical layer and than goto place>> 3D body .here after doing the setting for height you can draw the shape of needle. It will require some practice but it gives you very good 3D models I have designed some custom made Transformer shapes.

I tried to place the test point from 3D ContentCentral but I can only choose top or bottom side. But a needle goes completely through the pcb.

Guys, How to make my 3D model multilayer? So it's not floating on the top of my pcb.....

The Standoff Height leave the needle floating on the PCB. I meant, I want to flip the needle 90° so it stands straight up and then let it descend through the PCB.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Found it with Rotation. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back