Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How? - Switch mode power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings_of_fire

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What type to use? - Switch mode power supply.

HI,

If I want to run 3 stepper motors with each one needing 24 volt @ 3.5 Amps then what will the switched power supply be like?

Can it be a 24 volt @ 3x3.5= 10.5 Amps or do I need to buy 3 individual power supplies with 24 volt @3.5 Amps rating?

Last edited:

based the location of device and the way you connect the motors

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I did not understand.

The motors are connected to the stepper Drivers and the power supply of 24 volt @ 3.5 Amps max is given to the stepper driver.

So if I used the 24 volt @ 10.5 Amp power supply then will the stepper motors under load not tend to pull more Amps than 3.5 ?

assuming the motors are connected in parallel manner to the PSU and if there is no possibility of over load then the set up is okay

Motors tend to draw more than their rated current very rarely due to over load and low voltage if they are met then no issues i guess

most of the cnc machine websites that sell cnc kits, have a single power supply with 24 volt @ 3.5 Amps x number of Nema 23 stepper motors. I was wondering if these switch mode power supplies have some kind of current limiting process for each power output terminal. Even for a rare case where the motor pulls more than its max Amps its going to fry the Driver. Why would anyone sell such a power supply at all.

SO should I go for 3 individual switch mode power supplies? This will be expensive compared to buying a power supply with higher Amps which can support all 3 stepper motor power requirement.

SMPS based PSU generally have circuit breakers that provide safety to the drivers

so i think they will break the circuit in case of over current and stuff

but i really am not sure with this and am waiting for other members to tag in :)

- - - Updated - - -

SMPS based PSU generally have circuit breakers that provide safety to the drivers

but i really am not sure with this and am waiting for other members to tag in :)

- - - Updated - - -

A single supply is fine. As for rating - if they are not stepped simultaneously, you may be lucky, but there may be a holding current - I havn't really played with the large-ish stepper motors used for CNC projects. However, you're right, probably best to just bite the bullet and buy a far more capable PSU. Something like Powersolve PAK350 supplies 24V at 15A, and also has a (low current) 5V output in case you need to power some small logic or sensor. If you call/e-mail them, they will sell an individual PSU (I've not purchased that model so I don't know how much it would be). I'm guessing about $150. The PAK200 might be fine though - hard to tell (maybe some CNC forums may know what total current consumption to expect when using the machine). If the price difference isn't too much - just get the PAK350.

the probability of over current is very rare so i think it is best suited

but if you still want to take more precaution then it is better to increase the current op of PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.