Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desktop PC power supply issue

Meryam

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
My PC doesn't work, so I tested the power supply. When I connected the green to the black wire, the fan worked for only a second, then it stopped. When I googled this issue, I found that it indicates a problem in the secondary part of the power supply. I have checked this part, and there is no visible damage to any component. I need an experienced person to advise me on what to do.
You can find attached the detailed images.

Cordially

Hello,
My PC doesn't work, so I tested the power supply. When I connected the green to the black wire, the fan worked for only a second, then it stopped. When I googled this issue, I found that it indicates a problem in the secondary part of the power supply. I have checked this part, and there is no visible damage to any component. I need an experienced person to advise me on what to do.
You can find attached the detailed images.

Cordially
PC PSU's needed a jumper and really old ones needed a 10% rated load on 5V before they would start and just kick the fan for split second like yours. However I don't know why your PC failed. It could be something was added or got jarred and loose connections or a hundred other things.

No pics seen. Did you keep the wires connected? Fuse gone? Any bulging 'lytics? Power rails good? Any sign of burning?
Now, I think that a resistor is damaged. When I measure it, I get a reading of 0, and there is a continuity sound on the multimeter. It is in the picture below; if you can confirm my doubt. Although I have noticed that its labeled value is 1 ohm, I am confused about whether I can replace it with a 2-ohm resistor, or if it is important to replace it with the same value.

Attachments

• 20240111_162754.jpg
    20240111_162754.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 45
It's a 1 ohm resistor - probably a fusible type - if it reads short it's likely OK

there is far too little information here to help you

make and model of psu ? better pictures, often PC psu's need a min load or a wire to gnd to start,

PC PSU's needed a jumper and really old ones needed a 10% rated load on 5V before they would start and just kick the fan for split second like yours. However I don't know why your PC failed. It could be something was added or got jarred and loose connections or a hundred other things.
With Power On jumper enabled, and the fan start/stops momentarily,is often a condition of over-voltage protection due to lack of preload on 5V, or over-current protection due to some problem like the GPU card.

I really appreciate your interactions; you helped me resolve the problem. In fact, the resistance is not damaged; the continuity sound is due to its low values. When I tested the power supply in another PC, it worked well. Even though I don't yet understand why the fan only turns for 1 second, the problem is simply resolved by changing the 3V battery. My issue is that initially, I went down the wrong path. I am grateful and happy that my PC works again.

Attachments

• 20240111_162754.jpg
    20240111_162754.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 30
useless BIOS if you got no warning. Normally , the RTC / BIOS Battery is not a Stop failure
Excuse me, sir. What exactly does 'useless BIOS' mean? Does it imply that I need to configure the BIOS? I'm curious whether this troubleshooting is likely to happen again, or if I can consider the issue resolved.
Cordially

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: