Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how pcie works in fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

harinisas

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i am new to fpga and i have zero knowledge on working with them, i am doing a project where i need to transfer the data from pc to fpga and from fpga to pc through pcie. so how does this process happen- like should we write code in hdl for transferring or receiving data from fpga if data is sent from pc how to receive at fpga.
i am working on fpga side.i know the basics like how to write and dump program on fpga using xilinx.
the fpga kit i am using is vertix 6

Last edited:

xilinx should provide a pcie core for you. the pcie protocol is rather complicated so the core saves you years of work

Check https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/v6_pcie_ug517.pdf . (By the way, download Xilinx Document Navigator to manage all Xilinx documents) :

Hi,
i am new to fpga and i have zero knowledge on working with them, i am doing a project where i need to transfer the data from pc to fpga and from fpga to pc through pcie. so how does this process happen- like should we write code in hdl for transferring or receiving data from fpga if data is sent from pc how to receive at fpga.
i am working on fpga side.i know the basics like how to write and dump program on fpga using xilinx.
the fpga kit i am using is vertix 6

For PCI communication, there's a very nice tutorial on https://www.fpga4fun.com/. I suggest you to read after the PCI frame, understand it in detail. Design an FSM(finite state machine) on paper and after that you can code it in VHDL, Verilog or what you like.

Good Luck!

Maybe you can use an interface-chip between the PC and FPGA, such as MAX232, CP2102. It's very easy.And then you just need to know the time sequence from the datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back