Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does one determine source and destination impedance for high speed simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
High speed design requires that one may able to have impedance matched source, path and destination of the signal. The impedance of the path if it is a PCB track can be calculated using the available formulas. As far as I remember, it depends on the track width, distance from ground plane and the dielectric material present between the signal track and ground plane.

What is not clear is how would one determine the output impedance of the signal source and input impedance of the signal destination. As far as I can say, here we are talking about the signal buffer + bonding wire + metal pad/pin on the package of the signal source chip and signal destination chip.

As far as I am aware, we use vendor provided models in simulation for signal integrity purpose. But my question is, how does a person physically use lab equipment to determine the source and destination impedance values themself? I want to know this for general knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back