Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broadband Propagation Simulation of Helical Antenna Impedances: Convergence to High-Low Zo Transitions

dd2023

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello esteemed colleagues,

I've embarked on a comprehensive study involving the simulation of broadband propagation of helical antenna impedances through a segmented transmission line (TL) impedance transformer. My goal has been to achieve the best possible impedance match over the broadest frequency range. The simulation involves multiple independent TL segments, each having a variable characteristic impedance (Zo).

Observation:Rather intriguingly, whenever I employ optimization methods to determine the ideal Zo for each segment, the results predominantly converge to sharp high-low transitions of Zo values, contrary to my initial expectation of a more smooth, continuous transition akin to the theory of small reflections.

Queries:

1. Nature of Helical Antennas: Could the intrinsic broadband behavior of helical antennas, with potential sharp impedance variations, be more inclined towards benefiting from distinct high/low impedance steps instead of a linear transition?
  2. Impedance Transformation Dynamics: For broadband impedance matching, is there a possibility that certain frequency ranges are more efficiently matched using stark impedance transitions rather than gradual ones?
  3. Potential Resonant Behavior: Might these high-low transitions be introducing a form of resonant impedance transformation across the broadband range, thereby being more effective than a simple gradient?
  4. Discreteness and Optimization: Given the discrete nature of assigning characteristic impedances to each TL segment, could the optimization be naturally predisposed to favor sharper transitions as a more direct path to the desired broadband impedance match?
  5. Optimization Parameters: I've primarily oriented my optimization to minimize reflections and maximize power transfer across the bandwidth. Could the objective function be inherently biasing the solutions towards these sharp transitions?
  6. Solver Considerations: How critical might solver settings and model fidelity be in driving the results towards high/low Zo transitions, especially given potential non-linearities or intricate interactions within the broadband spectrum?
I'd highly appreciate insights or shared experiences related to these phenomena. Understanding the fundamental reasons behind these consistent results will significantly aid in refining my simulations and design strategies.

Warm regards,

DD

Tolerances of the helical shape are extremely sensitive to affect gain.

My question is more related to broadband impedance matching of helical antenna and counterintuitive Zo results for simulated TL matching transformer? By iterative, numerical, short segments Zo adjustment, I expected that simulation will converge to the smooth transitions of transformer TL impedances (theory of small reflections). Contrary, I always get sharp high-low transitions.
If you have, you can give me 64 or 128 impedance readings (R+jX) linearly spaced in the range 1-2.4 GHz, for arbitrary helix and I will simulate best TL impedance transformer for given length (50-100mm). It always converge to min/max available TL Zo!
Maybe, same is for other broadband antenna impedance matching, but I currently have only helix readings.

How about sketching the circuit and measurement results?
Sure, Here is helix R (blue line) and X (red line) impedance graph:

helix.png

Here is how 256 Zo segments of 74mm transmission line impedance transformer, converged, for minimum sum of squared Gamma (minimum attenuation), across 128 10MHz channel, for ZoMin=40 and ZoMax=130 Ohm:
NOTE: Zo values are listed left to right for propagation from antenna side!!!
helix256Zo.png

Here is resulting Gamma graph, blue (red is Gain):

helix128GmGain.png

Other data can be explained if requested.

Best Regards,

DD

Last edited:
As far as I understand, you are trying to match shown antenna impedance to 50 ohm. But what's the topology of "256 segment" circuit? Just series connection? How did you arrive at 74 mm segment length?
256*74 mm = 19 m sounds impracticable for GHz frequency, too much cable loss.

As far as I understand, you are trying to match shown antenna impedance to 50 ohm. But what's the topology of "256 segment" circuit? Just series connection? How did you arrive at 74 mm segment length?
256*74 mm = 19 m sounds impracticable for GHz frequency, too much cable loss.
LOL,
No, as written, it is "256 Zo segments of 74mm transmission line impedance transformer"
74 mm is overall length of stepped impedance transformer. Single segment, for which Zo is variated, has 74/256=0.2890625mm length
19 m would be if I wrote "256 74mm Zo segments transmission line impedance transformer"
My English is rusty, but I hope that I correctly used "segments of..."?
Topology is multi segment/multisection TL impedance transformer. As described by (Pozar in ME 5.5)

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back