Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how does a 0-10v dimmer works ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
am trying to understand how does these LED drivers work with the 0-10v dimmers ., since i don't see any current requirements for the dimmer inputs on the the LED driver nor in the specs of most of 0-10v dimmers I saw.
for example below is the LED driver i want to use , if i connect a analog or digital dimming source what should be its current rating?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/ac-aca100vd24h41-specs.pdf

P.S: I have posted this topic also on Arduino forum I hope its ok

They're probably using a PWM method. The control input probably requires very little current,it's probably a very high impedance input.

The 0-10V requirement is an old one first devised to control dimmeable fluorescent ballasts. Its widespread use allowed it to become a lighting industry "standard".
It is a control voltage only, and therefore the current requirements are quite low.
And yes, it is an analog voltage.

Since this scheme has been around for so long, newer LED luminaire manufacturers support it, to make it simpler to retrofit an older fluorescent setup with a LED setup.

ok thanks !
now the question is how can I generate this output voltage from aruduino ? that would be awesome

1) Generate a PWM waveform of about 20 to 50 Khz.
2) Filter it with a 10k resistor and a 0.1u capacitor. Those values are not super critical, you can increase them 2 or 3 times.
3) The filtered signal goes to a LM358 opamp, with a gain of two (non-inverting). This opamp MUST be fed from 12 volts.
4) As you change your PWM settings, the DC voltage from the opamp will vary linearly.
5) Feed this to the ballast.

1) Generate a PWM waveform of about 20 to 50 Khz.
2) Filter it with a 10k resistor and a 0.1u capacitor. Those values are not super critical, you can increase them 2 or 3 times.
3) The filtered signal goes to a LM358 opamp, with a gain of two (non-inverting). This opamp MUST be fed from 12 volts.
4) As you change your PWM settings, the DC voltage from the opamp will vary linearly.
5) Feed this to the ballast.

1) I can generate a 50% duty cycle 5 volts peak to peak wave using arduino tone function, would that work ?
2) how would I make this RC filter .. resistor first n then cap in parallel ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back