Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how assign statement can be implemented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuenkit

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
assign statement in always

I came across a statement saying why assignment statements should be avoided. One of the reason is

"Assign statements can be implemented in more than one way; less ambiguity is preferred"

the question is, how assign statement can be implemented? what are those "more than one way"?

synopsys remove_assigns

hi,
I think assign can be replaced by always block. so I dont understand what you mean. what book you check?

assign and always

Iam not sure if I cleary understood ur quey but

method 1 : for assign

assign anded_wire = a & b;

Method 2 : same assign using always is

always @ ( a or b)
anded_wire = a & b;

assign statements

the implementation here i guess is referring synthesis.
How synthesis tool implement different configuration for the assign statement

Hi,
Synthesized netlist should not have assign statements.
Read article on synopsys solvnet for clarification and method to remove assign statement in netlist.
https://solvnet.synopsys.com/retrieve/003637.html

Let me know if you don't have solvnet account, I can download it and send it to you.

Regards,
Jitendra

I'm not sure that i understand completely.

assume you are writing a glue logic, in which one input port has to be connected to an output port.

according to the article, this is called a feedthrough. assume that this is necessary for the glue logic. how to implement this ? coz, assign or always statement, will both infer the feedthrough condition.anyway to get around this condition ?

in behav level, i don't think assign have any problem. the problem only occur when you implement in PR tools

woodyplum said:
in behav level, i don't think assign have any problem. the problem only occur when you implement in PR tools

I wanna know why problems will occur when PR?

Regards!

according to 'writing testbench' , assign is not as readable as always block, especially in complex combination logic block.

How can I avoid "assign" in cadence's synthesis tool?

Thanks

for RTL compiler:

in you srcipt;

include load_etc.tcl;## this script is from cadence Application Engineers, in /your_rc/etc/synth/ae_utils/load_etc.tcl
insert_io_buffers -remove_assigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back