Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High impedance scope probe amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edan

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a low-end oscilloscope that isn't very sensitive. I'd like to boost the input by at least a gain of 10, ideally 100. I need to see frequencies up to 1Mhz. It's OK, in fact it's better, if the amplifier is an in-line battery powered device.

The first thing that came to mind is to find a 10MHz or 100MHz (unity gain) op-amp, wire it up as a non-inverting amplifier, make a resistor-divider virtual ground with ceramic bypass capacitors directly on the pins, and call it done. I haven't been able to find any fast enough opamps just yet, though I'm sure they're out there. (I live in Europe so going to Digi-Key means paying through the nose for shipping and import.)

Can anyone suggest a common op-amp that's fast enough? Or do you have a better idea?

I used a wide band(10 MHZ) fixed gain chip amp ( gain= X 10, X100) , way back in 1969. I think OPAMP is leading you up the garden path, try searching on wideband amp, programmable amp, RF amp. Just re-read your post 1MHZ is VIDEO, so try video amp.
Frank

Hey, what do you know -- some digging turned up the AD8055:
https://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD8055_8056.pdf

Still an opamp, of course. But reasonably cheap and available. The datasheet specifies a 100 ohm input (series) resistor in the application example for a low-noise preamp, any thoughts on why? (The amplifier is specified for a 10MOhm input impedance, which is great.)

Also, any thoughts on handling probe compensation? The scope I'm using does the compensation inside the scope, not at the probe... maybe I just need to get a different probe.

The opa355 is pretty fast too. Frequency response is -3dB @ 15MHz for a gain of 10. Supply voltage = 2.5V min, 5.5V max, so it could be powered by three 1.5V cells or four 1.2V cells. Datasheet is here: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa355.pdf

---------- Post added at 04:15 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

The datasheet specifies a 100 ohm input (series) resistor in the application example for a low-noise preamp, any thoughts on why?
Assuming you mean the circuit below:
They're not suggesting to add a resistor in series with the input. Rs is just the source resistance i.e. the resistance of the microphone or whatever is connected to the input.

If you use a circuit such as the one above, put a pair of back to back diodes from your input to earth to protect the amp from overloads. If you use a 10 megohm probe that was designed for some other scope, use it and wire a 50pF trimmer from + i/p to earth in your amp. This should then be adjusted to get the best response from prob+amp. As the output impedance of the amp is low it should be able to drive the input of the scope without any further compensation.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back