Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi all, a question about process standard in Sansen's book

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnmate

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why do people for CMOS process use n-welll process not p-well?
thanks

Walter

Re: Hi all, a question about process standard in Sansen's bo

nnmate said:
Why do people for CMOS process use n-well process not p-well?
Because most CMOS processes use p- substrates (or p- epi on p+ substrate wafers). Only few CMOS technologies use n- substrates (and then use p-wells, of course). There are also CMOS technologies which use both n- & p-wells on (any type of) substrates (twin well or triple well processes).

hi erikl, thank you very much for ur replying
i know exactly the situation by foundry that u described. i think, it is better to modify my question like this, why do people use p-substrate usually, which advantages do we obtain, when we deposite Bor and Galium (+3 material) at first.

nnmate said:
... why do people use p-substrate usually, which advantages do we obtain, when we deposite Bor and Galium (+3 material) at first.
Highest purity silicon is always p-doped, because Boron has the largest segregation coefficient of all dopants in silicon, i.e. is the most difficult dopant to be removed from silicon during the zone refining process. If n-substrates are required, this has to be done by counter-doping with P or As, which means over-compensation of the p-dopant. Over-compensated semiconductor material usually shows shorter carrier life-time, which may - or may not - be desirable, depending on the specific application.
Over-compensation is an additional process step, which probably leads to higher silicon wafer cost (just a guess). May be this is the reason why most CMOS processes use p- substrates. On the other side, shorter carrier life-time in an (n-) substrate helps against latch-up problems in CMOS; this, however, can also be achieved by using p+ substrate wafers with a p- epi layer (which also raises wafer cost, of course).
(p+ substrates also show a lower carrier life-time than p- substrates.)

nnmate

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks and merry xmas!
could not hope for a better reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back