Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS Patch antenna with cavity

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXRX

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I simulate in HFSS patch antenna on a substrate and i want to add cavity beneath the patch antenna, i will remove the GND beneath the patch antenna.

Which Solution Type i need to choose for simulation ? (Driven Modal, Driven Terminal or Eigenmode).

The cavity will add a resonance and the BW of the Antenna will increase.

Thanks,

Doron

I'd still go with driven modal and a waveport; as long as nothing really changes with your feed setup. There is a tutorial for a basic patch included with HFSS 13.

Hi,

Why is Driven Modal better than Driven Terminal for cavity applications ?

Doron

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe its because the driven terminal mode was designed with transmission line applications in mind, whereas the driven modal allows for different modes to be inserted - in terms of the electric field profile, while for obvious reasons you'd only see the transmission line modes on ideal transmission lines.

Hi,

I change the design of the Antenna Patch to Driven Modal and put a air cavity beneath the patch and do not see any significant change in result.

Why the cavity do not effect ?

I'd still go with driven modal and a waveport; as long as nothing really changes with your feed setup. There is a tutorial for a basic patch included with HFSS 13.

We you want to simulate Microstrip Patch Antenna in HFSS ,it would be better to choose Lumport Excitation NOT waveport...

Hi,

Do i need to define the cavity beneath the patch as Pefect-E+Boundary or as PEC (without boundaries) ?

Thanks,

Doron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back