Not open for further replies.

TXRX

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I simulate in HFSS patch antenna on a substrate and i want to add cavity beneath the patch antenna, i will remove the GND beneath the patch antenna.

Which Solution Type i need to choose for simulation ? (Driven Modal, Driven Terminal or Eigenmode).

The cavity will add a resonance and the BW of the Antenna will increase.

Thanks,

Doron

I'd still go with driven modal and a waveport; as long as nothing really changes with your feed setup. There is a tutorial for a basic patch included with HFSS 13.

Hi,

Why is Driven Modal better than Driven Terminal for cavity applications ?

Doron

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe its because the driven terminal mode was designed with transmission line applications in mind, whereas the driven modal allows for different modes to be inserted - in terms of the electric field profile, while for obvious reasons you'd only see the transmission line modes on ideal transmission lines.

Hi,

I change the design of the Antenna Patch to Driven Modal and put a air cavity beneath the patch and do not see any significant change in result.

Why the cavity do not effect ?

I'd still go with driven modal and a waveport; as long as nothing really changes with your feed setup. There is a tutorial for a basic patch included with HFSS 13.

We you want to simulate Microstrip Patch Antenna in HFSS ,it would be better to choose Lumport Excitation NOT waveport...

Hi,

Do i need to define the cavity beneath the patch as Pefect-E+Boundary or as PEC (without boundaries) ?

Thanks,

Doron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…