Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS negative conductivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasan7

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
HFSS doesn't accept negative imaginary part for conductivity but there are materials like plasma with a negative imaginary conductivity.I'm assuming that if i defined complex permittivity I could solve the problem.
Does anyone have an idea about this. any reference about plasma or any negative complex conductivity material simulation using hfss ?
Thanks

HFSS does not accept complex conductivities, though they can be entered. Correct representation would be to enter a negative permittivity and a conductivity for a material that exhibits a complex conductivity as a complex conductivity can easily be converted to a complex permittivity using the Lorentz-Drude Model.

given complex permittivity, er = er' + i er", then conductivity = 2*pi*Freq*e0*er" where Freq is the frequency and e0 is permittivity of free space in F/m. the conductivity entered is also just the real part of the complex conductivity.

Hope this helps!

Have Fun

Reactions: Hasan7

Hasan7

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Very useful indeed.
I wouldn't have heard of Lorentz-Drude model without your help. Thanks a lot.
I'm certainly going to have a deeper look. but for now pardon me to ask about the dielectric loss tangent. it should be (er" + conductivity)/w*er' b but in our case the er'' already depends on the conductivity! and HFSS defines the dielectric constant by er''/er' which is different from the ieee standards.
Can i conclude that i should enter to hfss:
The whole expression of the complex permittivity, the real part of the complex conductivity, zero for dielectric constant?
or should i ignore that er'' depends on the conductivity and enter er''/er' for the dielectric constant

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back