Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with two problems in Verilog (poor logic construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasef4

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Verilog Logic

Hi, I am pretty new to Verilog and was hoping someone could help me out.

I am having 2 problems, I am guessing both are related to poor logic.

1) In the example below I am getting warnings that "Warning (10235): Verilog HDL Always Construct warning at xxx.v(15): variable "D2" is read inside the Always Construct but isn't in the Always Construct's Event Control." I also get this error for D1 and ready, but not D3 which seems odd.

2) When I do a simulation, I set it to input an 8-bit binary number every 10ns. The problem is that D3 & D2 have the same value as x_in, and out[0] & out[1] have a value even in the period from 0-10ns, then change from 10-20ns. I would expect these values to be XXXXXXXX at first, since they should not be getting values yet.

module example(x_in, out)

input [7:0] x_in;
output [11:0] out[0:1];

reg signed [11:0] out[0:1];

reg [7:0] D1, D2, D3;
reg ready = 1'b1;

always @(x_in) begin

D3 = D2; D2 = D1; D1 = x_in;

if (ready)
ready = 0;
else
ready = 1;

z[0] <= (D3[0]+1'd1)**5;
z[1] <= (D2[0]+1'd1)**5;

end
endmodule

Thanks so much!

Re: Verilog Logic

Hi,

Try this one.

module example(x_in, out)

input [7:0] x_in;
output [11:0] out[0:1];

reg signed [11:0] out[0:1];

reg [7:0] D1, D2, D3;
reg ready = 1'b1;

always @( posedge x_in)
begin
D1 <= x_in;
D2 <= D1;
D3 <= D2;
end

always @( posedge x_in)
begin
if (ready)
ready <= 0;
else
ready <= 1;
end

always @( posedge x_in)
begin
z[0] <= (D3[0]+1'd1)**5;
z[1] <= (D2[0]+1'd1)**5;
end

endmodule

HTH
--
Shitansh Vaghela

Thank you very much for the help. Just so that I can learn something through this process, I was hoping you could explain a few things.

1) When there are multiple always blocks all with non blocking assignments and no time delay. What is the order that the things are done? Do the always blocks get done in order? And within the always blocks, how do you know what will get done in what order?

2) Since the input is just an 8-bit value, I wanted the module to run every time it was sent a new byte. That is why I originally just had x_in as the sensitivity list, because at this stage there is no clock...I was thinking that a change in x_in would trigger the always block. What does the posedge mean in this situation?

Thanks again!

Hi,
1) There is no order while executing the always blocks.
2) In my opinion, there is no need for posedge x_in, just always @(x_in) is OK..

Ilgaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back