Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me find a solution to a statistics question

Status
Not open for further replies.

silveredition

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is probably way too specialized of a question to ask and expect an answer on, but I'm using "The Elements of Statistical Learning" by Hastie, Tibshirani, and Friedman, and have been working on one question for about 4 days now and still can't get it, so if anyone out there has the text and knows how to do Exercise 4.2b, I'd be eternally grateful if you'd impart some hints about it.

If anyone doesn't have the text but may be able to help, the question is:

"Suppose we have features x\in R^p, a two-class response, with class sizes N_1 and N_2, and the target coded -\frac{N}{N_1}, \frac{N}{N_2}. Consider minimization of the least squares criterion: \sum_{i=1}^N{(y_i-\beta_0-\beta^Tx_i)^2}. Show that the solution \hat{\beta} satisfies: [(N-2)\hat{\Sigma}+\frac{N_1N_2}{N}\hat{\Sigma}_B]\beta=N(\hat{\mu}_2-\hat{\mu}_1)

where \hat{\Sigma}_B=(\hat{\mu}_2-\hat{\mu}_1)(\hat{\mu}_2-\hat{\mu}_1)^T

If the LaTeX causes any problems, I can put it in plain text. Also, the chapter defines:

\hat{\mu}_2=\sum_{g_i=2}{\frac{x_i}{N_2}}
\hat{\mu}_2=\sum_{g_i=1}{\frac{x_i}{N_1}}
\hat{\Sigma}=\sum_{k=1}^2{\frac{(x_i-\hat{\mu}_k)(x_i-\hat{\mu}_k)^T}{N-2}}

I'm not really expecting anybody to answer this, but this is sort of a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back