Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build an ADSL line network

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokrat

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Build network help

Hi all

I have ADSL line and I want to connect my neighbors with this line

My neighbor number is 20 :?:

can I use coaxial cable :!:

S 8O KRAT

Re: bilud netwok help

sokrat said:
My neighbor number is 20

What is this "20" ???

1. Your neighbour has no connection so far?
2. How many usable IP addresses you have for your ADSL box?
3. Running already FW/NAT behind it for sharing connection?
4. Distance to neighbour?

bilud netwok help

20 mean number of Pc
i have around 25 IP addresses for ADSL
the max distance is 250m

S 8O RAT

Re: Build network help

Hi,

Why coax and not CAT 5e cable?
Is there a reason for that?

bye

hugo said:
Hi,

Why coax and not CAT 5e cable?
Is there a reason for that?

bye

If i use coaxial cable i will not need switch or hub" just T connection " and the maximum cable length will be 250m not 100m and it will be Cheap

however using coaxial is bad choice since it's speed is very low compared to cat 5 also it's not assured about it performance or easy to connect

Whats your speed at ADSL line? if its below 10 MBit, than there might be no speed advantage to use an coax cable or not. Collisinon based ethernet might be loaded until 70% of its capacity, means: maximum performance is 800 Kbyte / 20 PCs is 40 KByte. As not all PCs will perform a maximum download it might reach out to use a single backbone.

250 m is behind the specification of an coaxial cabling, but probably you are able to insert a repeater or another pc in the middle of the way ... Otherwise the load for the whole cable segmment will fall below 50% because of reflections in the cable

a better choice might me to use a wlan router. The price for a router is about 50-70 EUR. No cabling needed, simply insert the components and it will work

The price for a (USB) based WLAN adapter for each PC is 40 EUR. Thats not too far away from an old-style coax NIC for each PC, and Cabling / connectors, plus additional effort to install the cable

OK

but what the better way for connect this network using cat-5 cable

i want to use min number of switches or hub

S 8O KRAT

Just use some switches.
Put a switch at your neighbour's place.
use the uplink to connect that switch to a switch at your place (perhaps use a FTP in stead of an UTP cable since the F in FTP stands for Foiled, meaning it should shield the cable better).
Connect the uplink of the switch at your place to your ADSL modem

An 8 port 100 Mbit switch for home use is pretty cheap (20-40 euro)
An 24 port 100 Mbit switch should be possible for less then 150 euro.
These prices are for home equipment. When you want cisco switches/routers you got more flexibility (and probably work to configure them). Prices will probably be higher :wink:

If you want higher speeds you could use an 1Gbit uplink connection between your neighbour and your place. This will probably cost allot more and you need better cables then Cat5.

Also, try to keep the point to point connection length as short as possible for the best performance.
(So, the best is a switch at the place where the cable leaves your house and a switch where the cable enters your neighbour's house.) You can also put a few switches into cascade. Set 1 switch at your neighbour's place where the cable enters his place. Put a number of switches distributed at your neighbour's place and use the uplink of each of them to connect to the first switch.
Do the same to connect that switch to your place.

I should stay away from coax. UTP,FTP and RJ45 jacks are mainstream for the moment. 100Mbit network cards are pretty cheap and most of the time don't have a coax interface. It will be easier to find new stuff and repleacement stuff when something breaks.

Antharax

Build network help

Try to use wireless connection between you and your neighbour.

Build network help

i wanna share my connection too and i wanna use a wireless connection but i don't know how

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back