Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP:Learning about Microprocessors & Microcontrollers from basics....

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephgopu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi...every body, this forum is very helpful in understanding the things. I want to learn Microprocessors & Micro controllers starting from basics. I referred many books, but the terminology is very much confusing & I'm unable to visualize the things explained in books (That is the major problem for me) like how data is transferred between memory & processor , buses, pipelining, how & where the program is saved which is to be executed by the processor....

THE MAJOR PROBLEM OF MINE IS VISUALIZATION of things happening there.......

try to understand my problem..and refer some books( explanation in simple english ), presentations with graphics, and video tutorials....

THE MAJOR PROBLEM OF MINE IS VISUALIZATION of things happening there.......
Take for example PIC microcontroller.
Consider you have a child hired to work at home. Now you are asking him to do every task. Pick up the phone, see who is ringing the bell, goto market and get pack of cigarette for me, clean the stairs. Go to roof see if its raining(see child abuse and child labour)etc. if you can imagine this you have learned how to treat working register in a pic., first step in software programmig. You have to study the hardware and software commands of mcu to succesivly operate different modules.Learning is a gradual process. Be practical follow some tutorials, make led on / off. you will be relaxed and more eager to learn.

Thank you shivaram..........
I want to learn about microprocessors first... starting from

how & where the program is saved in MP?
confusion about data & program memory....
how microprocessor executes the program?
what are interrupts? how they are deal by microprocessors?
what is stack? where it is allocated?
relation between databus width, registers width , instructions width?
understanding of clock?
understanding of timming diagrams?
etc..............

can u help in this direction......

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Thank you shivaram..........
I want to learn about microprocessors first... starting from

how & where the program is saved in MP?
confusion about data & program memory....
how microprocessor executes the program?
what are interrupts? how they are deal by microprocessors?
what is stack? where it is allocated?
relation between databus width, registers width , instructions width?
understanding of clock?
understanding of timming diagrams?
etc..............

can u help in this direction......

how & where the program is saved in MP

**broken link removed**
http://www.eee.metu.edu.tr/~cb/e447/Chapter 1 - v2.0.pdf
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

2. confusion about data & program memory
Data memory = where you place your variables. You can read and write values.

Program memory = where the application is stored. Some chips allows parts of the program memory to be modified in blocks (segments), but you can't store variables in the program memory. It is normally possible to store constants - i.e. initialized variables that you do not change - in the program memory.

Your PC also has data memory and program memory. But the program memory is very small in the PC - it is just for storage of the BIOS - the boot messages you see when the PC boots, and (often, but not always) the configiguration pages where you define if you have a floppy installed, if the computer should support a USB keyboard etc.

Are you on learning track of software programming of microcotroller or studying microcontroller hardware?

Are you on learning track of software programming of microcotroller or studying microcontroller hardware?

I want to learn about programming of MC as well as hardware details about MC in such away that how the program is executed my micro controller........

I want to learn Microprocessors & Micro controllers starting from basics.

I have similar problem with you before, however it turns out that, I need to understand "DIGITAL DESIGN" before try to understand the inner working of a microprocessor.

Perhaps this could help you:

1. learn what is a register.
2. find out why it is called a REGISTER
3. how register keep information
4. practice to store and extract data from REGISTER (build the hardware from discrete TTL or CMOS chip)

this will give you basic process of what happened in CPU and memory chip.
for non commercial purpose, a microprocessor can be made with only 1 Register.

HI joseph,
Step by step;
1. You must have an idea of Logic circuits.
2. Then must be very clear what is a Command and how the followers execute.
3. Little knowledge (in beginning) of the Microcontroller Architecture.
4. Then it will go side by side Programming and Hardware.

And here you go for a beautiful lessons step by step on PIC microcontroller programming.
**broken link removed**
Hope it helps a bit.

2. Then must be very clear what is a Command and how the followers execute.

thank you Raza ..
i know the basics of logic gates & digital logic.....
but im unable understand HOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXECUTED BY MC(FLOW OF INSTRUCTION EXECUTION).....

this thread is going nowhere and the OP is asking same repeated questions.. have you tried to read Mazidi text book. learn what is opcodes and where they are stored. what is its use... unless you are good in basics you wont understand anything and simply poting same questions also will never help you learn anything...

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

I dont think understanding logic circuits will any way help learning microcontrollers..

Hi,
Look some time you are having some discussion with a guy and quote " Speak logically, or is there any logic behind what you say?
So that is great you know the LOGIC. Now you have to receive some money from another person living far away from you. You want to visit him, what you do you plan, like:
1. You will go to ABC's place.
2. You will go by your car.
3. Before you leave, you will check all the accessories of travel.
4. When you reach at ABC's place you will start talking like this.
5. And if is agreed to pay gentally good, otherwise.
6. You may get help from the LAW.

This is indeed a PROGRAM and the logic is to receive your money.
All these steps are instructions which will be executed one by one. Same way the MCs do. There is a set rule how the Micros will execute this.
Now if you read the lessons I referred you you will get definite your way. Where ever you are stuck and feel difficulty come back for help the forum but YOU HAVE TO START READING, cause you can not finish the any job until you start it.

Would you people kindly tell, which compiler is easy and good for making and compiling programs for the 8051? I mean the compiler which is more easier for a beginner?

The book only gives you a concept, but doesn't give you how exactly a processor works. The best course of action is reading one comuputer architecture book to understand the concept and reading actual RTLs/netlists.

thank you Raza ..
i know the basics of logic gates & digital logic.....
but im unable understand HOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXECUTED BY MC(FLOW OF INSTRUCTION EXECUTION).....
Try this.
Microcontrollers | white wolf's lair
I cannot confirm all info is 100% correct since its my blog and there's not much traffic and critics :p, but it might help you to understand in assembly level. If you want to go further, read the datasheet. example microcontrollers are PIC. And ask anything confusing. If it starts confusing too much for you, stop using it and start googling.

Last edited:

thank you Raza ..
HOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXECUTED BY MC(FLOW OF INSTRUCTION EXECUTION).....

take this for example

clock 1.MCU place address: AABBCCDD (hex address ok) in address bus;
clock 2. RAM place data in data bus, simultaneusly data appear in address bus and MCU memory and "decode logic" interpret what is the meaning of the data which has just arrive
clcok 3. MCU place data and address bus is filled with : DDCCBBAA (hex okay)
clock 4. device @ address : DDCCBBAA(hex okay) read the data and display it in an LCD display

BTW what ever the instruction is received , the MCU only respond with 1 answer : "sorry, I take no order, not today"

if you are interested in removing all confusions regarding microprocessor , a book alone can put you in a good position.

but , book , i mean a proper book for your level of knowledge.

one book that i can recommend for you is "Digital Electronics , Albert Paul Malvino".

it explains digital and microprocessor in user friendly form.

just see the book and read it .
if you have still doubts , then you can refer to all hand picked web links posted by members of this forum.
these links are a sort of proven web pages links which can greatly enhance your understanding of a specific processor or controller.

post back if you get what you want from the book.

i think .....if you are much confuse in mp and mc you must take help from professor because even reading a book you can't solved some confusion or problem ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back