Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for Designing MMIC Power Amplifier (PA) using Advanced Design Systems(ADS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusparaga

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to design X-Band MMIC Power Amplifier (PA). I am familiar with designing MIC LNA using ADS. I have schematic of PA, and want to convert this schematic into MMIC PA. In MIC, we had used MLIN to separate between R,L and C components.
Is there any videos for implementation of MMIC PAs and documents like ADS Cook Book . Please show me any you tube and guide me how to design MMIC Power Amplifier using ADS.

I want to design MMIC layout for Power Amplifier. Guide me, how to design MMIC layout for Power Amplifier.

Questions should be :
-What kind of Power Amplifier I need ?
-What specifications ?
-Which Foundry available
-What for ?

@BigBoss is there a way to use a Foundry as an individual?
Is there a demo Foundry available as ADS demo kit? Is that a good start?

@BigBoss is there a way to use a Foundry as an individual?
Is there a demo Foundry available as ADS demo kit? Is that a good start?
Commercial Foundries are not open to individuals, only companies can use the DKs for commercial purposes under signed agreement. ADS Demo Kit may be used for training but don't forget this DK is not a real one to manufacturable. It's only for education.

There are now 2 example Demo Kits provided with ADS 2022. There is the original Non-Linear DemoKit that has been shipped with ADS for a few years now which is styled on GaAs-HEMT MMIC technology. There is also now the mmWave DemoKit which is styled on GaN-HEMT MMIC technology which contains many newer capabilities.

1639002600857.png

Both Design Kits are included in the default ADS installation and documented in the manuals under "Applications > Design Kits > ADS Demo Kits".

1639003184099.png

pusparaga

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Only the Non-Linear DemoKit (GaAs technology) is available in ADS 2020. The mmWave DemoKit (GaN technology) has just been release for the first time in ADS 2022.

pusparaga

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have doubt regarding providing input at Power Amplifer. Whether I have to give RF input(AC signal ranges from 0.1 - 6 GHz for designing 1.5 GHz PA) or input power from 0.1 Watt to 1 Watt.

Input_Power_Clarification.jpg

Only the Non-Linear DemoKit (GaAs technology) is available in ADS 2020. The mmWave DemoKit (GaN technology) has just been release for the first time in ADS 2022.
I have installed Keysight Technologies ADS 2022 and would also like to design MMIC X - Band Power Amplifier. How we can we get mmWave Demokit(GaN Technology) in ADS2022 and How to utilize the same.

Follow the instructions in the on-line manual under the topic:

Getting Started > ADS Overview > Create a Workspace

In step #4 ensure that you have Analog/RF and DemoKit_mmWave options checked. No others are required so should all be left unchecked.

1664007165342.png

In step #6 choose the technology for "DemoKitmmWave, 0.001 micron layout resolution" and Finish.

1664007112945.png

You should now be ready to go by creating new schematic/layout views with this Design Kit.

You cannot just add this Design Kit to a workspace that already exists. The designs you create have to be constructed with components from this kit. It is not possible to automatically 'convert' an existing design with non-design kit parts to one using such parts

As you discussed in the previous post, I followed it. I am getting nicely upto 5th step and am not getting after 5th step. I have attached below related screen shots. Guide me how to get things after 5th step.

Not getting_6th Option.jpg

Attachments

• PA_Design.pdf
    393.2 KB · Views: 130

In step #4 you must have the Site Libraries > DemoKit_mmWave option (and not the DemoKit_Non_Linear) selected. If that is done correctly then the Technology option will appear in step #6.

In step #4 you must have the Site Libraries > DemoKit_mmWave option (and not the DemoKit_Non_Linear) selected. If that is done correctly then the Technology option will appear in step #6.
I have done once again upto 6th step and selected DemoKit mmWave. But technology library option is not appearing after step #6. I am not understanding what is happening.

PA_Design_after_6th_Step.jpg

Looks like you have completed the process and have a new workspace open.

In that workspace window open the menu command DesignKits > Manage Libraries... What do you see?

From same workspace window also create a new layout view. What do you see there?

Looks like you have completed the process and have a new workspace open.

In that workspace window open the menu command DesignKits > Manage Libraries... What do you see?

From same workspace window also create a new layout view. What do you see there?
As you mentioned in the previous post, I have done it and attached the screen shots. Help me to resolve this issue.

DesignKits_ManageLibraries_after.jpg
New_Layout_View_After.jpg

As I asked in my previous post:

This should be a complete layout window. In the layout view with this PSK there should be a "DEMOKIT_MMWAVE" menu visible and the "DemoKit_mmWave" component palette should be visible on the left.

Although it looks like the process is working. You have the DemoKit_mmWave attached to the workspace and everything should be working. What are you expecting to see?

Just following up for extra clarification. In the origin instructions at

Getting Started > ADS Overview > Create a Workspace

Take a close look at step #3 when entering the name of the new workspace. The next item in that window is a checkbox for "Set up layout technology immediately after creating the library". Make sure that this option is checked as shown in the document. Follow the instructions as shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back