Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guidelines for designing a 4-way power splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezman

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hellow everyone

I have a project about 4 way power splitter ,12GHz to 18GHz(Ku) now.I have no ideal about it.For instance,which structure I can choose,microstrip,wave-guide,or some others?which papers I can read?Which software I can use to simulate?Thanks!

Regars

Kezman

Re: power splitter(help)

Hi,

First of all you need in phase or what?
Secaond if you want in phase you can do it with wilkinson multistage, for this band (12-18) you must ast least 3 stage.
You must start with splitter 1 to 2 .
Okay I will help you but you must tekk me with what simulation you are working???
ADS AWR or GENESYS (this I know)
Later (today)I wiil send to you papers teoretical!

David

P.S.You need splitter from 12 to 18 GHz [F middle=15GHz] and your BW is 6GHz
or 50%, It's possible to done with 2 stages (i think)

power splitter(help)

thank you DDavid

I use this splitter in power amplifying,so I think separating power in 4(or more) way is my aim.

I think I can use ADS,AWR and Ansoft-Designer simulate.But,I have some questions ,which software is the most appropriate one toward my project?
whether wilkinson multistage can be used in 12-18GHz? whether microstrip structure can be used or I should choose spatial power devider/combining?

Thanks!!!!

HI,

I think you may use wilkinson (you not trying to built balanced amp, for balanced wilkinson not suitable).
Best if you can is ADS I think... I am used for desig splitter with ADS, but I started with Genesys. Like you know in genesys they have signal control syntesis so instead trying to calculate my multiustage splitter I used with genesys, but it's no a ploblem, If you want use with ADS send to my email (or here) more details and I will try to make predesign (only to find proper impedance) and them you have to built it in ADS translate it to layout and make momentum, simulation!!!!
No hard belive me!!!
I never work with this freq but my college (that work with 30 - 40GHz) his said that ADS it's a good choice!!!
And about teoretical papers tell me exactly what you need, I don't want bombing spam the net!!! :D

David

power splitter(help)

Thank you David again!!

I want to design a 4 way equal-divide power splitter,and it's band is 12GHz to 18GHz.It's ports should be matched to 50ohm.These are the details of my project.I hope to get help from you,my friend.

Sorry,I don't know Genesys.What software it is?Which aspects it can be used in?

I hope to get papers which tell me how to calculate wilkinson splitter branch impedances and isolate resistance.My email is dz_05@163.com.Can you tell me your email?thanks!!!

Regars
Kezman

Hi,

1. My email is: david-d@celldor.com

2. You want papers to mail or here (forum)?

David

Dear DDavid

i am also interested in power dividers , so would u please upload the topics here

thanks
khouly

What you need exactly khouly?

I know a ton on this subject and wilkinson is the way you want to go.
Tommorrow i will upload the book i had for my class into this forum so you can see the basics behind calculating the needed values.
I have used ADS a ton and i recomend it. The line calc tool will make your design fly by real quick. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Thanks!

I have a picture on my power splitter design, please take a look and give me an idea what I did wrong, because I need to have S12 = S13 = -3dB of S11 = 0dB, but i get S12 and S13 around -20dB, I use FEKO 5.5 and excite 3 voltage sources of 1V at input port 1 and the two output port 2 and 3, the strip is 50 ohms with resonant frequency of 15GHZ and er = 2.35

Thanks

Well, where do we start?

The two split arms are the same width as the lead-in arm. You do not seem to understand the concept of impedance matching.

No isolation resistor.

No place to put isolation resistor since arms are too far apart

Only one section, where you probably need a 2 section

because I need to have S12 = S13 = -3dB of S11 = 0dB, but i get S12 and S13 around -20dB, Thanks

S11 should be less than -20dB, not 0dB.

And you maybe need some open stub for impedance matching.

AWR is better for simulation this. And there are several examples in AWR.

Good luck.

Apparently, FEKO doesnot have an option for me to add a isolation resistor, I read Pozar book and come up with the new simulation as in the picture, the quarter wave transformer has the impedance of 50*sqrt(2) = 70.7 ohms, but still, S11 = -2dB and S12 = S13 = -10dB.

Anybody has experience in doing microstrip power splitter in FEKO please help

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back