Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground Pouring in RF PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW_Engineer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In RF board designs, we frequently see each module in the design encapsulated by a narrow ground guard stitched with via holes parallel to RF traces which is nothing but ground pouring.
The basic reason is to reduce electromagnetic emission & coupling.

I want to understand the exact level effect of ground pouring in RF PCB. Can I have the general rule of thumb for following points?

-> When ground pour shoud be used?
-> how close two traces can be placed in parallel?
-> Is it frequency dependant?
-> What distance should be there between trace & ground pour?
-> Vias seperated by lambda/20 is fine or not?

Please guide me.
Thank you

Dear Marce,

Thanx for the reply. I already have that pdf file but that only mentions the via distance for ground fenceing as lambda/20 but no other thumb of rule is mentioned.

Lambda/10 is also worth considering, or with todays PCB manufacturing abilities, you can create a co-axial structure on a PCB, by controlled depth milling (either mechanical or laser) and edge plating.

P.S. I have prior art regarding this going back a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back