Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

getting errors due to bad description

Status
Not open for further replies.

counterboy

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i am new to VHDL and after writing the code below i get the error -Signal <> cannot be synthesized, bad synchronous description.- can someone help and tell me where im going wrong

Code:
library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;

entity delaytimer is
       port( clock:in std_logic;
             delay:in integer range 0 to 15;
             delayF:out std_logic
           );
end delaytimer;

architecture Behavioral of delaytimer is

signal lag:integer range 0 to 15;
signal clock1: std_logic:='0' ;
signal count: integer := 1;

begin 
process(clock) -- gives error on this line(line 21: Signal count cannot be synthesized, bad synchronous description.)
   begin
		if (count = 50000) then
         clock1 <= not clock1;
			count <= 1;
		if (rising_edge (clock)) then
         count <= count +1;
      end if;
		end if;
   end process ;

Process(clock1) -- gives error on this line(line 32: Signal lag cannot be synthesized, bad synchronous description.)
    begin
	 lag <= delay;
      if (lag = 0) then
         delayF<='1';    
      if (rising_edge(clock1)) then
		lag<= lag-1 ;
end if;
end if;
end process; 

end Behavioral;

several errors. First of all there are signals missing in the sensitivity lists - you have not followed the synchronous process template - you cannot nest your clock statement inside another if. It has to be the top level if or elsif from an asynchrous reset.

I would also recommend you do not generate logic clocks internally. Its much safer to use the system clock and generate clock enables for other processes that are clocked using the system clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back