Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Full Bridge Inverter with MOSFET and IR2110 gate driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i need urgent help, now i am doing full bridge inverter with IR 2110 . to isolate the ground between +5v and 230v i want to use opto coupler can any one suggest what type of opto coupler to use,because microcontroller not driving the opto coupler

Hi,
i need urgent help, now i am doing full bridge inverter with IR 2110 . to isolate the ground between +5v and 230v i want to use opto coupler can any one suggest what type of opto coupler to use,because microcontroller not driving the opto coupler
you can use TLP250, TLP150

For isolation, almost any optocoupler can be used. 4N35 and other such common optocouplers can be used. Since you're already using IR2110, there's no need to use isolated gate-driver chips, especially if frequency is low. Be careful with the device selection, depending on the switching frequency.

You must make sure that the IR2110 runs off a power supply that is isolated from the microcontroller supply, but shares the same ground as the power devices (MOSFET/IGBT) being driven by the driver itself.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

For isolation, almost any optocoupler can be used. 4N35 and other such common optocouplers can be used. Since you're already using IR2110, there's no need to use isolated gate-driver chips, especially if frequency is low. Be careful with the device selection, depending on the switching frequency.

You must make sure that the IR2110 runs off a power supply that is isolated from the microcontroller supply, but shares the same ground as the power devices (MOSFET/IGBT) being driven by the driver itself.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

thank you tahmid, micro controller cant able to drive the opto coupler can we use any buffer ic

Of course microcontroller can drive optocoupler directly, assuming it has sufficient current capacity. PIC10/12/16/18 won't be a problem. And neither will ATtiny or ATmega or many of the numerous other controllers (PIC and AVR included) available.

Just connect a resistor between the microcontroller output and the optocoupler LED.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Of course microcontroller can drive optocoupler directly, assuming it has sufficient current capacity. PIC10/12/16/18 won't be a problem. And neither will ATtiny or ATmega or many of the numerous other controllers (PIC and AVR included) available.

Just connect a resistor between the microcontroller output and the optocoupler LED.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

If I want to generate 60Hz AC signal using full bridge What would be my PWM signals from the MC?

P.S. I am using PIC18F45K20

hi tahmid,
i have a doubt, what is the advantage of gate driver IC IR 2110 compare to optocoupler. because IR 2110 not providing isolation between the micro controller and power circuit then why we use IR 2110

Yes. IR2110 does not have isolation. So you should add another optocoupler before input to IR2110 gate driver. I use HCPL 3120 gate driver which has isolation. If you want to use IR2110, I suggest to use another optocoupler from vishay or everlight.

If I want to generate 60Hz AC signal using full bridge What would be my PWM signals from the MC?

P.S. I am using PIC18F45K20

It depends on the desired waveform. If you want square wave output, the signals from the microcontroller would be constant frequency 60Hz signals.

If you're looking to generate sine wave output, you need sinusoidal pulse width modulation (SPWM) where it's a little bit more complex.

hi tahmid,
i have a doubt, what is the advantage of gate driver IC IR 2110 compare to optocoupler. because IR 2110 not providing isolation between the micro controller and power circuit then why we use IR 2110

IR2110 is a high-low side MOSFET driver, rated at 2A. You can use it for driving 2 MOSFETs or MOSFET sections, one in low side configuration and the other in high-side configuration rated at up to 500V. You can use it for frequencies well in excess of a 100kHz. It also comes with other features such as shutdown.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

It also comes with other features such as shutdown.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.
Tahmid can the shutdown feature be used to desat protection

sir i work on this project sir plz give me the full descriptin of thjis circuit

hy tahmid i am using IRF540 N TYPE MOSFET AS I JUST MAKE INVERTER NOT TO RUN ANY MOTOR JUST MY PROJECT IS TO GENERATE AC SUPPLY IS THIS MOSFET WORK WELL OR NOT?
ALSO IT IS NECESSARY TO USE PTYPE AND N TYPE MOSFETS??? A
Connect a resistor between the gate and source of each MOSFET. Then connect a resistor (load) across the low-side SFET and test the output across the resistor and not the HO of the IR2110.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

hy tahmid i am using IRF540 N TYPE MOSFET AS I JUST MAKE INVERTER NOT TO RUN ANY MOTOR JUST MY PROJECT IS TO GENERATE AC SUPPLY IS THIS MOSFET WORK WELL OR NOT?

You can use the IRF540, but the datasheet says it will work up to 100v. In other words if you only need 100VAC then they will work.

ALSO IT IS NECESSARY TO USE PTYPE AND N TYPE MOSFETS??? A

As far as I know you should use all N-type not both N and P (I think you can use all P). I would also like to hear what tahmid (or any other local eda expert) has to say about N-type vs P-type regarding vaidya deep's scenario?

Hope that helps,
OT

Last edited:

ok thank you very much
and i use irs2110 driver along with pc817 optoisolator .....is this ok ???
You can use the IRF540, but the datasheet says it will work up to 100v. In other words if you only need 100VAC then they will work.

As far as I know you should use all N-type not both N and P (I think you can use all P). I would also like to hear what tahmid (or any other local eda expert) has to say about N-type vs P-type regarding vaidya deep's scenario?

Hope that helps,
OT

ok thank you very much
and i use irs2110 driver along with pc817 optoisolator .....is this ok ???

Yes you can use irs2110 driver along with pc817 optoisolator

I have tried building this circuit but when I connect a 100 ohm resistor as the load, I only see a +12V to 0V swing at the load. I am trying to see the full +12V to -12V swing. Any ideas why I am not seeing the full swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.