Status
Not open for further replies.

hmsheng

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I measured a fractinal-N PLL. The in-band phase noise is -80dBc/Hz on integer mode. But when it works at fractional-N mode the in-band phase noise will be -60dBc/Hz. Mash1-1-1 ΣΔ modulator was used for fractional-N. The ΣΔ modulator is always on at both interger-N and fractionan-N mode. But at integer-N mode only integer part was connnected to the multi-module divider.

I checked all the circuits and they seems all right. What may be the cause of the 20dB phase noise degeneration at fractional-N mode?

Insufficient noise filtering of the sigma-delta noise

or

Frequency downconversion of folding of high-frequency noise because of nonlinearities.

rfsystem said:
Insufficient noise filtering of the sigma-delta noise

or

Frequency downconversion of folding of high-frequency noise because of nonlinearities.

1. PLL loop can't filte the in-band ΣΔ noise;
2. I simulated the folding of the high-frequency noise because of CP nonliearies but the contribution is only -80dBc/Hz with 10% CP mismatch. It's much less than the measured -60dBc/Hz.

So, any other reason else?

You should design a digital filter to remove ΣΔ noise rather than loop filter.
This technology is named noise shaping.

Mash1-1-1 ΣΔ modulator itself has noise shaping function.

Please check via simulation the delay impact of the VDD in terms of ps/V. Depending on the divider and the PFD circuit a phase modulation via supply noise is possible. If you then simulate with relaistic supply inductance/impedance you will get the possible source of the phase modulation. If the sigma-delta runs on the same supply it could easy ruin the performance.

hmsheng

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…