Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA power supply problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooya_BA

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I designed an FPGA Spartan 6 circuit that its power supply is supplied using 1117 regulators.
This circuit has two power supplies, 3.3 and 1.2 V.
The circuit worked properly for several months, but after a while the regulators and the fpga itself became hot, and the power supply increased from 1.2 volts to 2.4 V.
When the voltage regulator is connected to fpga and 3.3 V is disconnected from the circuit, the voltage is exactly 1.2 , but when the 3.3 V regulator is connected to the circuit, the voltage of the 1.2 V regulator increases to 2.4V.
Does anyone know the reason for this problem?
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

My guess is that you've got a damaged FPGA. There's a path from the 3.3V IO power to the 1.2V core power.6

You could test this the other way around: disconnect the regulators and power the 3.3V and 1.2V from power supplies and see what happens; I don't think you can do any more damage than has already occurred.

Is it possible something external to the FPGA failed-you don't show us much of a schematic? Could you have had ESD damage? A floating blob of solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.