Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fpga design problems....???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You use Tcl commands like this:

set_instance_assignment -name VIRTUAL_PIN ON -to my_pin

Read more in page 15-11 in volume 2 of the Quartus II Handbook:

https://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii5v2.pdf

Here are a few lines from the chapter:

"Virtual Pins

Usually, when you compile a design in the Quartus II software, all I/O ports are mapped directly to pins on the targeted device. However, you may not want to map all I/O ports to the device pins; use the Virtual Pin assignment then.
A virtual pin is an I/O element that you do not intend to connect to the chip pins. You create a virtual pin by assigning the Virtual Pin logic option to an I/O element. When you compile a design with some I/O elements assigned as virtual pins, those I/O elements become mapped to a logic element and not to a pin during compilation, and are then implemented as a LUT. You might use virtual pin assignments when you compile a partial design, because not all the I/Os from a partial design may drive chip pins at the top level."

hi sir i tried in quartus with virtual pins n i got ans............thk uuuuuu very much.......

vitual pins are just a way for you to get an idea of resource usage for a single entity. You cannot get a working design using vitual pins.

vitual pins are just a way for you to get an idea of resource usage for a single entity. You cannot get a working design using vitual pins.

sir..thr is a provision in software where we cn give values for virtual pins as either on or off...ie..1 or 0...
with sme pins as input n sme as output n rest all as virtual cnt we get ans????
whether this ll b right or nt???

you would do that by connecting the inputs to 1 or 0. But this will have the effect of synthesising away large amounts of logic as the inputs are constant.

Virtual pins are not a solution to your integration problem. You still need a mecahnism to get the data in and out of the chip to allow your design to work.

I suggest to think of an interface, that would be also applicable to a real hardware design, e.g. a 32 or 64-Bit data bus with an address port to select individual registers and read and write strobes. Preferably as synchronous bus with a common clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.