Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA design detail questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzushky

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga design model questions

Hello,

i am currently struggling to discover to build a complete fpga top for the system I need. first of all I know what I want it to do but i don't quite have fpga habits to get there as i should.

My basic questions are of the sort: I know i need an SRAM module, do i define this entity (it's vhdl i'm using ) or use fpga ressources(using xilinxvirtex 5)

I need some registers, how do i create them and how do i read/write them and use their value to manipulate my system state.

Which brings me to Finite state machines.

So, basically, i'm not exactly an FPGA developer but I'm trying to learn and don't know where to turn. ISE xilinx models don't help, they have no comments. simple examples in vhdl books don't help because i can say it's not vhdl syntax or habits which hold me back.

I also want to put an ahb slave because the system will be pilotedfrom elewhere later...

lots of pieces which i can see functioning in my head, i imagine theblocks and wires, and yet for simple things such as the SRAM , i don't know how to make this block, plus accesses from different modules (includingahbto them)

This is why i turn to you...Can you help me with some very practical advice or pieces of code from which i can understand once and for all how an fpga designer does it?

thanks in advance,
T

fpga design questions

Hi,
i think that you should start from a practical book on FPGA design using an HDL.
Concerning the usage of the FPGA's recources, the best practice(according to me)
is to read very carefully your FPGA's specs and wherever possible use the resources
provided. In the specs you will find code examples of FPGA's resources utilization
like memories. With respect to the FSM design, i think that the book on practical
design should cover this field also.
In general, i suggest you first read some basic material on FPGA design and then
ask specific questions. It would help you more, and it would make the help from
this forum more realistic (according to me always :) )

Pavlos

Thanks for the advice, I had thought of that, that is why i was turning to you to get actual book names or tutorial sites ...

So, couldyou give me some examples?

t

Try this:
Design Recipes for FPGAs, Peter Wilson, Newnes, 2007
The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGAs, Clive Maxfiled, Newnes, 2004.
I think it is possible to find them here, in edaboards.

tzushky

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, I looked through them but I still have design doubts. I solved my memory problem however,

Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.