Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fm modulation with dds and pll help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo0

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to forum

I want to make fm modulation to a 1.7 to 1.8 ghz pll . For this purpose i used adf4106 pll with umc vco . I though to drive the reference with dds signal at 40 mhz . My question is how to make fm modulation for fm bradcast signal . I can fm modulate the dds reference so this multiplied produces the needed 1.8 ghz fm modulation .
By running adisim i show i must use 1 mhz loop badwidth so gain in linear from 0 to 56 khz .
The problem is phase which has 80 degrees deviation at 56 khz from 0 degrees at 1 khz .
Will this confuse stereo emmisions since the pilot at 19 khz will be in different phase than the 38 khz subcarrier ?. Finally rds will have problems if i phase lock it to 19 khz ?.
Can someone enlighten me ?

There are two ways to FM modulate a phase locked oscillator:

1) Inside of the control loop (like you are doing)

2) Outside of the control loop (using a very large digital divider N and a narrowband loop)

If you choose #1, then you have to live with the distortions that the PLL will provide. It helps if you understand classical control theory, when I tell you that you will want to place an "zero" somewhere around 56 KHz to compensate for the phase lag, and another pole at a higher frequency to close out the loop gain, and then another zero to help keep the loop stable when it crosses the open loop unity gain frequency.

I would also watch out for time lag in your digital divider in these high frequency loops, it will make the loop more unstable.

In case i use the dds with upconversion to 600 mhz and mix the two signals together . With The subtraction i drive the pll signal input . So eg. Fvco =1700 mhz , fpll(inp)=1700-500=1200 mhz .
In that case if i fm modulate the dds wil i have problem with distortion ?.
Outside the loop bw how much will the spurious of the dds be attenuated ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.