Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback converter transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

readyfosho

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there
I am trying to design a flyback converter with a 15v 2a output at 9v 36v input voltage. I want to use PA1837NL transformer for this. However, the output voltage is set for 12v 3a. I wonder if I can use this transformer?

PA1837NL (transformer) https://www.mouser.com.tr/datasheet/2/336/P666-461826.pdf

This is my first post I would appreciate if you could help.

Yes you can use it as the attached prooves
--- Updated ---

Would be a bit more re-assuring if they said it was Litz wound

Attachments

• FLYBACK 15V 2A with PA1837NL transformer.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your reply. What do the red sections in your Excel file mean? I think it's related to the satisfaction equations that appear in the datashet. Can you explain that? I'm a student and I am new this area.

Yes, the red bits are the calculations of peak Flux density B.
And also, the other red square is for the calculation of the core loss from the flux density swing (hysteresis loss)
Ferrite suffers less hysteresis loss than say iron, but still its significant.
--- Updated ---

Also, attached is an LTspice sim of your transformer in a flyback converter..its in the free LTspice which you can download and run it

Attachments

• Flyback 9_36VIN 15V 2A out.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 74
Thank you very much for your reply, I will give the result that I will try it when I get the materials. Also do you have a suggestion for the input filter circuit (emi filter)?

For filter, use a combo of common mode and diff mode filters.
Ensure the most downstream component in the LC filter is a C , not an L....the filter should look low impedance when viewed from the flyback input looking back to the filter. Officially, the output impedance of the input filter should be at least 10 x lower than the input impedance of the flyback.......
But basically, use enough diff mode filtration to smooth off the input current waveform.
--- Updated ---

Zin of the flyback = vin(min)/Iin or [Vin(min)^2 / Pin]

Status
Not open for further replies.