Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

floating point calculations on fixed point dsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehboob_iiui

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am learning to use my c5416 dsp, however i found out that it is a fixed point dsp, so how do i perform floating point calculations on it....

Only by emulation.
If you use C, you can check compile properties - there is usually fixed point emulation on.
However it significantly slows down processing.
If using floating point is critical for your task, you have to choose another chip.

you may have to write your own floating point libraries. That is quite easy but takes time.

example code is available with processor's devlopment as all the processor have.

I m using ADI fixed point processor and that routine is availabe with VDSP++

Your time critical dsp calculations should be in fixed point (interupt, sampling), so you need convert your floating point parameters in fixed point before.
You can make floating code calculations in your non-time critica code sections.l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back