Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fixed Point Accuracy , How to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omara007

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks ..

I'm having some problems truncating my fixed points signals .. I'm having a 16-bit system and I want to carry out a 16bit X 16bit process .. and I need the output to fit in a 16bit vector too .. and I'm havinh a problem in determining the accuracy and where I should cut .. given that my format is 0.15 signed numbers. (0.15 means that the binary point is just after the MSB which indicates the sing as well).

The range of number am using is <= .9999999999999 ..

so, what do you suggest ?

I think you can built a c-simulation model.

The case now is like this :
I have 2 16-bit fixed point numbers .. (15 downto 0) .. the binary point is between the 15th and the 14th .. and the 2 numbers are signed .. I want to multiply them together and fit the result in 16-bit vector with reasonable accuracy .. what shall I do ? .. from where should I truncate the original 32-bit multiplication result ?

The next question will be .. if this result is to be added to another result generated from a similar process (the whole thing can be viewed as a sum of products), what's the best way not to lose accuracy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back