Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding the Missing X...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinCERA

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Our professor once gave us this problem, and none of us got this.
Could you please answer this with a solution.

PROBLEM: Solve for x if x raised to x raised to x raised to x and so on is equal to 3.

:)

The general problem should be: x^x^x^x^x.....^x (infinite times) = k

if we call y=x^x^x^x^x.....^x "infinite-1" times then x^x^x^x^x.....^x (infinite times) = x^y

Since we are considering infinite then x^x^x^x^x.....^x (infinite times) = k ≈ y then we can write the approximation:

x^k=k from which x=k^(1/k)

the problem is that, as far as I remember, the function convergence is limited to "k=e" (that is k=2.71828...) or something like that, so k=3 cannot be reached.

The general problem should be: x^x^x^x^x.....^x (infinite times) = k

if we call y=x^x^x^x^x.....^x "infinite-1" times then x^x^x^x^x.....^x (infinite times) = x^y

Since we are considering infinite then x^x^x^x^x.....^x (infinite times) = k ≈ y then we can write the approximation:

x^k=k from which x=k^(1/k)

the problem is that, as far as I remember, the function convergence is limited to "k=e" (that is k=2.71828...) or something like that, so k=3 cannot be reached.

So why not just say x= 3^(1/3) ?

It is a tricky question.
(I hope I don't become confused.)

If you mean

x^(x^(x^(x^(x.....^x)))) = k

then the solution is x=k^(1/k), as you found.

But if you mean

((((x^x)^x)^x)^x.....)^x = k

then the solution should be the solution of k^x=k.
It seems that in this case there is a consistent solution only for k=1 (in which case x=1).
Regards

Z

OK: x^k=k is not exact but approximate. Since the function is strongly non linear infinitesimal increases of x can lead in very large variation in the solution.
Since we are out of the convergence 3^(1/3) will only give us an underestimate of x, that can be increase up to a value leading in k=exp(1). Higher values will cause non convergence.

zorro, you are write, but also k^x=k is an approximation, in effect I think the correct solution is given from the non-algebraic equation x^y=y^x that cannot be solved in closed-form. In any case k=3 is not reacheable.

Reactions: zorro

zorro

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi albbg

I see. Just, rather than say that "x^k=k is an approximation", we should say that "in the case a solution exist, it must satisfy x^k=k" , i.e. x=k^(1/k).

Let me explain. Consider the function f(k)=k^(1/k) for k positive. If it has a maximum for some k, Ln(f) has a maximum for the same k because Ln() is monotonic.

Equating the derivative of Ln(f(k))=Ln(k)/k to 0, we find that there is a maximum for k=e. So, we have the same solution of x=k^(1/k) for two values of k, say k1<e and k2>e.
For example, for k=2 we find the solution x=2^(1/2)=1.4142..., and for k=4 we find the same solution x=4^(1/4)=1.4142...

Obviously, if we put x=1.4142... into x^(x^(x^(x^(x.....^x)))) (infinite times) we can get only a single value for k, that is 2.
For x>=e^(1/e) the expression x^(x^(x^(x^(x.....^x)))) (N times) diverges as N->∞.
From the other side, the equation x^(x^(x^(x^(x.....^x))))=k (infinite times) has no solution for k>e.

Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back