Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[FEKO] Simulation of Large Dielectric Structures (RADOME) with Physical Optics (PO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfmatt

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have a question about the simulation of large dielectric structures with FEKO, with particular reference to RADOME simulation.
My objective is the evaluation of the effect of a large dielectric radome with a size of ~10 lambda on the pattern radiated by an antenna placed inside the radome structure.
As a preliminary analysis, I have modelled a simple lambda/2 dipole and I have placed it inside an hemispherical radome shell.
Since my structure is electrically large, I have chosen to use the Physical Optics (PO) solver implemented in FEKO.
My problem is that the results show that that almost all the field radiated by the antenna is reflected back by radome, regardless of the relative permittivity of the radome structure.

Let me show it with an example

The following figure shows the field radiated by the dipole without the radome (the dipole is directed along the x axis)

no_rad.jpg
Fig. 1 - Dipole in Free Space

When I add a radome with a relative permittivity equal to 2 (i.e. the green hemisphere shown in Fig. 2), almost all the radiated field is reflected back

rad_epsr_2.jpg
Fig. 2 - Radome Enclosed Antenna (radome epsr=2)

If I lower the relative permittivity of the radome from 2 to 1, the radome should be transparent and the pattern of the dipole should not be affected. However, also in this case almost all the radiated field is reflected back by the radome, as shown in Fig. 3

rad_epsr_1.jpg
Fig. 3 - Radome Enclosed Antenna (radome epsr=1)

I have checked all the parameters of FEKO without being able to solve my problem. I would be very grateful if someone could give me some hints about the modelling and simulation of radome or electrically
large dielectric structure with FEKO by using the physical optics (PO) solver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back