Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extracting(filtering) certain range of bandwidth from sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack1988

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm enjoying playing with sound file by giving effects to the original.

Nowadays I'm interested in filtering certain bandwidth from hearable sound range between 20Hz and 22kHz. Normal adults can recognize upto 16kHz only.

In frequency spectrum editor, for example I extract 14.5kHz ~ 15.5kHz across 2 hours of sound records just by selecting long horizontal square area across the entire sound spectrum view with mouse dragging on the screen. Then crop and play. That's all. This eleminates most voices and musical instruments (20Hz ~ 8kHz ; Yes, MP3 encoding with normal compression gives only this range of sound from the original) and gives me any sound signal caught between 14.5kHz ~ 15.5kHz which would be small fraction of sharp noises out of musical instruments.

Very easy to do in software method.

But no idea how to begin in hardware RLC circuit. Collect sound with the mic and filter with simple(?) RLC circuit, and convey the filtered to the recorder or headphone, or even to the MPU input node. How?

Any advise will be appreciated.

I would suggest a narrow bandwidth active filter. Try using TI FilterPro - its free:

**broken link removed**

Keith.

Jack1988

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Extracting(filtering) certain range of bandwidth from so

Thanks a lot!

Actually I googled much yesterday so that i'm about to get that info but you gave me the exact one!

keith1200rs said:
I would suggest a narrow bandwidth active filter. Try using TI FilterPro - its free:

**broken link removed**

Keith.

Another one to try is the free version from Nuhertz. It has limitations (3 poles) but may be sufficient. Probably not as easy to use as the TI one, but handy if you want to see what a passive filter could do (mind you, I think there are plenty of web based passive ones around as well).

**broken link removed**

Keith.

Re: Extracting(filtering) certain range of bandwidth from so

Hi
Try with parametric eq´s(soft or hard) with high attenuation(15-18 dB or more)and
wide Q(2.5-3 octaves).You can get rid off any frequencies you choose.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.