Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

External HDD used by two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

octron

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
External HDD

Hi,
did anybody try to connect an external harddisk with its USB-port to one computer und with its firewireport to an other computer and then use it from both computers at the same time ???

Thanks
:?:

Not possible !

You should connect external HDD to one computer (SUB or 1394), then share the HD as network disk to local network.

I can't use the network. My problem is that I want to share data between my own network and an XP-network were I have no administrator privileges and where "big brother" is watching me. The external HDD was my idea to do it.
So maybe there is an other way to do so ???

Re: External HDD

If all you want to do is send data there are connectors available to connect between USB ports of two computers. Its not just a connector there is some attached electronics on the cable too. Or why don't you use a flash drive ?, may be a simple slower solution.

Actually its possible to connect between comuter using simultaneously using FireWire and USB port. But for that you have reprogram the External HDD firmware. Because usually the manufacturer don't expect to connect both FireWire and USB interfaces simultaneously.

Nothing is that easy........

you can connect hdd to usb port thats possible...

its available in market....

but if u need to use it it two computers.. sharing the disk is the only way connect both systems in LAN...

Regards
Shankar

External HDD

You can do that using a suitable ARM processor. But there will be a context switching between the computers.

Dear,

You can also use NAS ( Network Attached Storage).

Network Attached Storage (NAS) is a term used to describe a complete storage system which is designed to be attached to a traditional data network.

Wireless 802.11 Network Attached Storage devices are now appearing on the market.

We are using a 802.11 NAS that can be connected to 2 different Wireless Networks.

I think you can find Some of them that can be connected to 2 different wired networks.

But i think they are a little expensive.

Good Luck.

External HDD

Why dont you get that hard drive and put it inside your computer and put a lock on it. Hehehe, just kidding, on windows xp, you need to create a username on the other computer same as the username you use on your computer, then activate the sharing on the other computer where the usb hard drive is connected, and you could put your username to have read and write priviledges, and that should be it.

Hello mates...

I do not know what you really looking for exactly, so i going to give some choices...

First the NAS solution, this is just an example, there are plenty of products out there.
You can even buy just the enclosure and put your own HDD of almost any size.

http://www.adstech.com/products/NAS-806-EF/intro/NAS_806_intro.asp?pid=NAS-806-EF

If you go to google.com and put down NAS kits, you will have plenty to choose from.

The other solution, (to make it yourself) if you are up to. There are a controller that do the USB switching in order to 2 to 4 PC's can share 2 USB devices.

The controller is made by Standard Microsystems (www.smsc.com) and the controller is called USB2524. Here there is some info about it.
**broken link removed**

Well, just in case you or anyone will be interested in this stuff.

Good luck..

JR

External HDD

Actually its possible to connect between comuter using simultaneously using FireWire and USB port. But for that you have reprogram the External HDD firmware. Because usually the manufacturer don't expect to connect both FireWire and USB interfaces simultaneously.

That would result in filesystem corruption and data loss. All operating systems are written with the assumption that only one computer will send commands to a harddrive which change the contents. Operating systems cache filesystem information in the computers memory. If somthing else chages it data will be overwritten

External HDD

there are 2 free pc based NAS implementations :
www.freenas.org
www.openfiler.com

the first is quite new , while second seems widely used as alternative to costly commercial ones (just impression from google) )

External HDD

TUSB6250 is good for USB to IDE connection. freescale is having full project for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back