Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Export a layout from ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGKelectronics.com

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys! I've designed a microstrip filter in ADS 2011.10 and I would like to export it to some format I could import to SolidWorks and/or PCB design software. DXF/DWG should work for both. The problem is that no matter what export format I choose the file contains nothing. The DXF file just contains the outlines of the document. If I just do "Export artwork" the resulting layout is also empty. The "More options..." dialog from the export File->Export menu has a tab "Layer", but it does not display any layers.

What do I have to do to successfully export a layout from ADS? Thanks for the help!

-Kalle Hyvönen ( https://www.dgkelectronics.com )

DXF/DWG export is mostly used for mechanical construction,that's why objects are exported as empty blocks.
For PCB manufacturing Gerber export is used and the exported objects will be filled in Gerber files.In other hand, ODB++ export is a industry standard and many PCB design programs are compatible to import/export tasks.

The problem is that no matter what format I choose the resulting file is empty. The DXF just has paper sized document edges, nothing else.

Edit: If I go generate artwork, the resulting layout is also empty.

Last edited:

There might be some incorrect setting in your export options settings.

When I try to export, everything works as expected. All layers with drawing objects are automatically included in the layer list shown above, and included in the output file.

Last edited:

That layer dialog is empty for me, there is no layers to choose from :/

That layer dialog is empty for me, there is no layers to choose from :/

Strange. In my case, all used layers automatically appear in the list. Even if I define a new layer and draw some rectangle on that new layer, it automatically appears in the list.

What layers have you used, and what type of objects are drawn on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back