Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ENOB and OSR ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, In the lecture they say that if we double the OSR we get 0.5Bit increase.
I assumed its FOM of Walden as shown bellow but as you can see bellow We have 2^B goes down when Fs goes up so i cant see its happening.
Maybe they mean a different formula?
Where did i go wrong?
Thanks.

1600607858703.png

1600608247500.png

Attachments

• 1600608182706.png
    1600608182706.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 95

Maybe this will help -

Regards, Dana.

yefj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If we don't oversample we have quantization noise power of LSB^2/12 which is distributed from 0 to Fs/2. If we keep the same FSR and physical bts out of the ADC but we sample twice as fast, that is the sampling frequency now is 2*Fs, then quantization noise power is distributed from 0 to Fs. If the signal BW is Fb, then now we will have 2x smaller Qnoise power in this BW compared to the case with no oversampling. So, Qnoise power drops by 3dB and since 1 bit is worth 6dB in Q noise power, then 3dB is worth half a bit.

Reactions: yefj

yefj

Hello Sutapanaki, Yes i agree if we do the degital filtering on OSR=2 we qet SQNR ratio increase by 2 which is 3db so
ENOB=(SQNR_new-1.76)/6.02=(SQNR_old+3db-1.76)/6.02=enob_old+3/6.02

Is this the meaning?

Thanks.

Hi,

OSR=2 we qet SQNR ratio increase by 2 which is 3db so
factor of 2 (in voltage) is 6dB.
factor of 2 (in power ) is 3dB.

in my eyes:
* increase by two means " +2" (which can not expressed in dB)
* factor of 2 means " x 2 "

Klaus

Reactions: yefj

yefj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back