Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) - circuits that would be valuable after an EMP attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee321987

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
What circuits do you think might be in high demand in a post-EMP world?
I was thinking:
--radios
--voltage regulators (for charging batteries).
--constant current sources (for charging batteries).
--????

Please suggest any other circuits you can think of. Especially things that you wont be able to find at any big store (like radios).

Vacuum tubes would still work.

I have some radiation-hardened, space-grade 8086 CPU's from Intel in my spares - wonder if they would survive? (Probably not).

I've seen the other post about building a radio too. Seriously, I wouldn't bother myself. Much better to buy one, from cheap to ridiculously expensive depending on your funds, and keep it in a safe. The knowledge of how to build and repair them might be invaluable if the 'problems' continued for a long time though.

Think though: Who do you think will be transmitting? If there is any basic governmental structure left, and they want to communicate to the public, normal consumer radio is what will be used. If it's more military or police that you are thinking of - they are more likely to have encrypted comms that you can't monitor. Radio amateurs are a very good bet, both national and international. For that, you want a good short wave/HF receiver or, better, transceiver. That's something you could make. A big aerial is a must too.

However, if you have suffered the sort of attack/event that has knocked everything out by EMP, you have some really serious issues to contend with. Got enough food? Water? Off-grid power? Fuel for generators and vehicles? Sanitation/decontamination/water purifying/medical supplies? ...defense when people start to panic as it all runs out, or just try to take advantage of the situation???

This is an area I've studied, and prepared for, for a long time, a lot.

Thanks.... yeah, i know it would be really bad especially near big cities.
Radio amateurs are a very good bet, both national and international. For that, you want a good short wave/HF receiver or, better, transceiver
Sounds like the way to go for me. Thank you.

You're welcome. I don't know your exact situation or particular concerns, but here are some more things to consider.

Lighting might be very useful, both fixed and portable. That means both flashlights and long-life/rechargeable cells. For cells, keep primary lithium (1.5V AA Lithium, 10-year shelf-life and high capacity) and the newer low self-discharge NiMH cells. Think of a good way to recharge them when the mains electricity goes away, and preferably without using fuel. Solar cells and a small wind turbine are the favorites, but a hand or bicycle cranked generator (motor in reverse) is a good idea too. Connect up to your regulators from your safe store.

Some hand-held transceivers might be useful to keep in touch with others locally. They can also be useful if you need to send out 'scouting parties'.

Having an HF transceiver is a much better idea than just a receiver and hoping that someone says something of interest to you. However, (remember that I don't know how you envisage this EMP to happen) you might not want to transmit much - it makes you noticeable and locatable to anyone with a scanner.

Talking of scanners, one of those in addition to the HF set might be useful for monitoring locally. That's not something you could make, but simple ones are cheap enough. No need for multi-GHz, just the basic bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back