Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic switch design

Status
Not open for further replies.
The picture he posted earlier showed the correct voltages at the base and collector of the transistor. However the relay doesn't operate. I suspect he may be using the wrong relay, e.g. one with a 24V coil.

i tried with all the spdt relays available in the orcad library but still getting the same results with it

• Neutral is always connected to ground at the source, even a portable generator, the chassis ground will also be neutral even if floating. So by convention Neutral is grounded at source but load currents commonly raise that voltage a couple volts at the load if running at rated current.
  • Relays are constructed differently depending on ratings and applications;
  • review some datasheets here

for example of types....
  • Signal, Up to 2 Amps (4,403 items) = Gold plated to prevent corrosion eg for telephony signals
  • Power, Over 2 Amps (9,643 items) = Need current arc to clean contacts from oxide buildup (insulator)
  • Solid State (6,226 items) = optically coupled SSR for AC or transistor for DC
  • SS relays often defined in 4 basic types if design specifically for Input or Output AC or DC so they are called IAC,IDC,OAC,OAC types.
  • There are RF relays which use 50Ω lines and RF diodes with controlled impedances and DC isolation.
  • If relays are very high current, they are called "contactors" instead and have arc suppression medium.
  • Relays like transistors have a gain factor where the switch current rating / input current rating could be 100 typically.
  • Relays have lots of bounce, bigger = longer time
  • Optical switches often use hysteris to reduce noise effects
  • Optical switches can also include zero crossing circuits

This is just relay 101 intro and my 2 pesos worth.
and that concludes this lecture. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back