Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

driving six servo motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am driving six servo motor simultaneously in my robot.I am using atmega32 microcontroller at 8MHZ frequency.My problem is i m giving power to six servo motor as i have uploaded image.But due to some fact i m not getting required torque.My servo are also moving too slowly.Can anyone give me suggestion?

Need to give additional details about this project : motors nominal voltage, the amount of power the motor draws, motor power control circuits, and so on… :cool:

Assuming, you are using standard servos, there aren't much options to make them act slowly or with reduced torque, except for an insufficient power supply. Monitoring the supply voltage in operation can clarify this point. In addition, when using old analog servos, reducing the pulse repetition rate below expected 50 Hz will affect the servo gain and thus possibly the reaction speed, but not the torque.

You have pairs of servos in series running off a 9V cell. That cell is likely the low-capacity type designed for low-drain devices. Typical model servos can draw an amp or more under load. Moreover, they are designed for 4.8 to 6 volts. It appears your voltage is too low and you are supplying inadequate current. Of course, as mentioned just above, voltage drop across the battery terminals will confirm that assumption.

Also, if one servo in a pair is not moving, I suspect the other will not move either.

John

i think u r not giving the delays rightly .... check the delays man ...

As both FvM and jpanhalt have indicated, from your description of the issue the power supply is definitely suspect.

Typically, even small to moderately sized RC Servo can draw 200mA to 400mA when being rotated to a new position with No Load.

The battery supply could easily be overloaded, depending on the number of servos being rotated concurrently and the specifications of the batteries being used.

Have you attempted or considered testing your design with an appropriate benchtop power supply in replace of the battery packs?

Doing so could quickly resolve any suspicions as to the source of the issue.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.