Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

drive power IGBT heat calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to know how to drive this IGBT IHW20N120R3 https://www.ges.cz/sheets/i/ihw20n120r3.pdf ??
also i want to know how to calculate the power dissipation ( heating losses ) when it works with 20A and 5 A,
when it is driven by a PWM signal (18A, 220V) and a duty cycle of 1/4, the nominal current is 5A.

Power dissipation is not just dependent on current but also on voltage. So having just the amps isn't good enough.

Also, losses at PWM can't tell with that poor information.

Ideal situation = zeero loss.

i give the voltage 220V, and also the switching frequency is 3 khz

i give the voltage 220V, and also the switching frequency is 3 khz
Are you interresting in dynamic losses only?
You must know the Vds at maximum current to be able to calculate static losses.

If you don't know that - at least you should find the Vgs. Then you use the datasheet and can determine the Rds.

a PWM signal is apllied in order to drive this IGBT, the VDS is 220 V, how to use the datasheet in order to calculate it ?

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

and how to drive this IGBT ?

For switching losses you'll want to manipulate figures 13-16. You'll have to extrapolate them to cover your Vce of 220V though.

yes but in this figure the frequency is not given ?

Those plots are of switching energy loss, so find your total switching loss per PWM period and multiply that by your PWM frequency to get switching power losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.