Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubts about Ohm meter usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiles

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! Could you tell me the reason why a Ohm meter has many choice like x1Ohm, x10Ohm, x1KOhm ?
And how to check the Fet is usable or not ?
Thanks !!!

Re: Meter usage

smiles said:
Hi! Could you tell me the reason why a Ohm meter has many choice like x1Ohm, x10Ohm, x1KOhm ?

Because, R measurements are made by R to U converting using constant current flowing through R. Voltage converters used in meters have limited resolution 3.5 or 4.5 digits and there is no possibility to obtain the same accuracy when you measure 1MΩ and 1Ω. You don't need to measure 1MΩ with accuracy to 0.01Ω (best resistors have tolerance 0.1% which means 1kΩ during 1MΩ measurement.

Meter usage

If you look at something that not is resistor but has resistance, how can you guess the resistance value of it, for e.g a motor, a transformer ... (coil resistance) or even diode, transistor, Fet ...
Thanks !!!

smiles said:
If you look at something that not is resistor but has resistance, how can you guess the resistance value of it, for e.g a motor, a transformer ... (coil resistance) or even diode, transistor, Fet ...
Thanks !!!

You can measure it, but this is only resistance part (for constant current).

Real coil has wire resistance but has inductance too.
Motor has winding resistance, windings has inductance.
Transformer windings have resistance (different depend on wire gauge).
Diode has dynamic resistance not static for small signal and constant I and U biasing diode (of course, diode has static resistace because semiconductors has resistance but usually that resistance is small and visible onlu for high currents)

rd=dU/dI it changes depend on constant current flowing through diode.

FET - has channel resistance which changes depend on Ugs (gate-source) voltage

Meter usage

thanks, but tell me about Fet, how measurement to decide whether it lives or not ?

if you take a normal ohm meter {like avo etc } and put the + leed on the source of an Ntype fet and the negative lead on the drain

then wet your finger and place across the gate and drain

you should see the resistance from drain the source change dramaticaly on the avo

for a digital meter

most have built in fet tests
so its a matter of a better meter that has the fets sockets and making a set of leads to test other packages using some dil pins and crocks

digital meters will do the same as an avo when used that way
as a quick test
best to use a fet analyzer or build one to test batches for the best device etc....

smiles

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Should I test it on board or must remove it than do testing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.