Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doubt regarding a data register

Status
Not open for further replies.

praneeth87

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
I have a problem in implementing a data register with respect to the spec given to me. The data regsiter can hold data of 1 byte (8 bits) of data. I need to design the data register in such a way that the writing into it is done in 25 Mhz frequency and the reading out of it is done at 2 Mhz. Is it possible to design this type of register. Since the register is an ordinary 8 bit flip flop . Can it write at one speed and read at another speed because a flip flop can operate with only one clock(only one frequency) and I am not allowed to use a FIFO because the spec strictly mentions an ordinary data register should be designed. Please give some suggestions.

You can put a mux in the clock path of a simple register like this:

CLK = (READ . CLK_RD) + (WRITE . CLK_WR)

where READ and WRITE are active-high read/write signals for reading data from this register, and CLK_RD & CLK_WR are the 2MHz & 25MHz clocks respectively. CLK will be the wire that is connected to the data register ultimately. It is assumed that READ/WRITE signals are always complementary of each-other.

But this solution has one disadvantage. It will cause a clock skew in your system.

What makes you think that reading of a FF involves a clock?

Flop outputs are always on. it's just a matter of what clock captures the data present on flop output and you only need to careful to avoid metastability.

Sorry... my reply was complete nonsense.. :( didnt give much thought.

The two replies above are correct.. U don't need a clock to read FF o/p. They are always ON.

An easy way to ensure there are no clock issues you need to ensure both the clock are in phase. Considering 25Mhz is not a perfect multiple of the 2Mhz. You could have phase issue. You could use a PLL to lock the phase of the 2MHz using the 25MHz.

A cheeky way, which works for temp solution (FPGA's) is by using a double FF of the lower clock with the higher clock i.e. 2MHz -> edge FF_25MHz ->edge FF_25MHz -> latched 2MHz version. This is not the best way to do it in an ASIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back