Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register recovery/removal violation

kaz1

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is about timing violations at async reset release. Implementing it and synchronising it is dead easy. but my question is about underlying concepts.

In FPGA vendor or user literatures I find it hard to fully understand the concept of recovery/removal. So Thought may be ASIC designers can shed some light.

Async reset release timing violation relates to sampling window defined as:
Recovery is equivalent to "setup violation at reset release" and Removal is equivalent to "hold violation at reset release".

So it relates to sampling window which originally is meant for D input yet there is no clear discussion on relevance of D input and whether it contributes to the concept or not.
I also read that if the register is going to change internal state due to change (at D input or Q output) then reset release becomes critical otherwise it does not matter.

If so how to reconcile (D , internal state, Q output) as relevant., or is it only D state coinciding with reset release that causes concern?

Thanks

Think about setup and hold as an input data stability problem, don't think about D pins.

In a flip-flop, when the clock comes, input must have remained stable for setup_X time units and must remain stable for hold_Y time units. Now instead of input data you have reset. Input must remain stable for some time before and after a clock edge. That is all there is to it, simple concept.

Thanks that is very simple but I hope it is not simpler...
Your reply raises another question: is setup and hold figures (usually of D input relative to clock edge) apply equally and exactly to async input which is unrelated to clock edge?
--- Updated ---

Firstly in my first post I made naming error, it should say:
Removal is equivalent to "setup violation at reset release" and Recovery is equivalent to "hold violation at reset release".

After some research I found this Intel statement somehow improving on the concept of relation to D input capture:

"The reset Removal Check ensures that the de-asserted reset signal is not captured by the same clock edge that launches the reset."

Here is the link to the document:

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back